1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Telecaster Bass Build (lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by quadra, Mar 7, 2010.

1. quadra

quadra

Feb 8, 2008
    This is my Telecaster Bass Humbucker Build project.

A friend of mine who is not a luthiere, but quite an enthusiast with bass building is helping me in this project.

He had already build a couple of Bass VI which can be found on OSG Forum.

The main goal of this project is to get a nice final result without spending more than what it would cost me brand new. Since it's a TB just like the Squier one, it's already giving me some trouble with the main goal, but I don't mind. It's fun time.

First off we start with a 2 piece joint of good solid mahogany.
    And we cut it and route it to get a nice body.

We thought about getting some custom templates on CNC from the states, but time, costs, and shipping all the way to Costa Rica made us took the fast, easy and not completely exact way of tracing the body

a.jpg

c-1.jpg

n.jpg

f.jpg

CIMG3290.jpg

CIMG3296.jpg

CIMG3307.jpg

CIMG3315.jpg

CIMG3332.jpg

CIMG3335.jpg

CIMG3338.jpg

CIMG3337.jpg

Anyway, we got some really nice trace lines from my '51 body with a small device my friend come up with... or saw somewhere.

It's a Telecaster I know, but it's not going to have a contoured body. It will not be a perfect reproduction of a Fender TB.

Now I'm waiting for the pickup and the pickguard to arrive to route the body and then I'll figure out which neck to buy.
    I'm thinking on All Parts neck or a EDEN Paddle Neck from ebay... I prefer All Parts or Warmoth.

Pickup from: http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2034

And pickguard from: http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_tb_6400.html

I hope I can get good input from this thread as I'm moving on with the project.

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Looks like you have a great start on the Tele Bass. It is one of my favorites designs, so will wait to see the progress to completion with great anticipation. Keep the pics coming.

3. Good Stuff Quadra!

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Subscribed.

5. I can't wait for the pickup and the pickguard to arrive. I want to verify a couple of things to make sure the templates are accurate before routing the neck pocket and the pickup cavity...

6. funkomatic

funkomatic

Sep 28, 2006
    That's going to look nice, I'm anxious to see the final product!

7. Está chidisimo mi pana!!!!!

Pura vida!!!!!!!!!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020