Telecaster Bass Neck Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thedbldilema, May 13, 2019.

1. I have a question for you fine people.

I have a fully loaded body for a '72 Telecaster Bass that someone so lovingly tried to put a Precision Bass neck on. Yikes.

Anyway, I want to get the correct period spec'd neck made for it and I was look for recommendations.

The only trouble I have run into thus far is that the 72's and onward have a bullet truss rod adjustment and the makers I have found so far do not offer that as an option.

Thanks in advance

2. If you're getting a custom made neck just the the fella doing the work you want a bullet TR nut. Another option is buy a P-bass neck,reshape the headstock and retro-fit a bullet nut.

Replace truss rod nut to a bullet style nut

ps A P-bass headstock is plenty big enough to reshape.

3. Nathan Waterman

Nathan Waterman

Apr 27, 2019
    Help: i am looking for a replacement for my 73 mudbucker Tele neck, and i do not know who makes one. Warmoth only offers 1 1/2 inch nut width[ j bass], or 1 11/16 inch nut width [p bass]. Does anyone make the 1 5/8 inch nut width that my bass came with?

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I don't know if there is anything special about a bullet truss rod, but the bullet nuts are available at StewMac and will fit a normal Fender truss rod.
    Bullet Truss Rod Nut for Fender | stewmac.com

5. E S Anderson

E S Anderson

Dec 26, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I know this is an old thread but I just came across this.
    VINTAGE 1972 FENDER TELECASTER BASS NECK - MAPLE - FULLERTON, CA USA. | eBay

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021