1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Telecaster bass pup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 1972 Fender Telecaster bass with the one big humbucker pup. I love the bass, hate the tone. Giant mudpuddle with all bass, and no definition...ick! Does anyone build anything to go in the factory hole that will still be nice and fat, but have presence and definition, more like a G&L or Music Man humbucker? I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you have on making this bass usable to me, yet still be able to go back to stock easily if I'm ever silly enough to sell it. Thanks, Alan

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Maybe this would work?
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/basspickup888.jpg
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsother.htm
    Quote:
    099-1993-002

New Old Stock from Fender. DeArmond "Gold Tone" humbucking neck position bass pickup. USA made pickup with ring as used in Starfire series basses. Features Alnico 5 magnets, polysol wire, and nickel silver pickup cover. Expect a deep and woody vintage tone. Great for replacement or projects. LIST PRICE WAS $125.00!

$39.79

Never seen anything like this on a fender before...

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Or this:
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsbartolini.htm

PU 1225-023

Bartolini #MMC pickup for Ernie Ball/Music Man® basses or similar. Hum-cancelling split coil design yields the maximum amount of tone with the least noise. More output than stock and voiced for an open sound with a smooth top end. Features Bartolini logo on the cover, epoxy sealed windings and long leads for easy installation. Can be used as a passive replacement or with a preamp. List price is $130.00, get it here for less!
    $89.79

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  5. Chef

I also own a 72 Telecaster bass with the same pickup you describe. I may be completely wrong here but is it really a humbucker?

I've never taken my pickup apart to confirm this but looking at the position of the screws on the pickup I'd always assumed it was a standard Precision type split coil pickup just with a nice chrome cover.

Anyone know different?

6. Yes, that is a humbucker.

Why did they ever change the old single coil pickup- were they chasing the massive tonal success of the Gibson EB-3?

As far as a replacement, you might just be out of luck. From where that pickup is located on the body you're probably not going to get the classic Precision sound. Look at both the old style and new style Precision, as well as the Jazz neck pickup, and they're all located around the same harmonic spot. If you measure the distance from the 12th fret, really close to right on, in the right scale. (same thing applies to the Mustang bass, but in smaller scale, the distance from the pickup to the 12th fret is almost equal to the distance to the third fret)

Other people might have had different results, but I went through this with my EB-0. Since there was little to no collector value to my bass, and it had all kinds of sentimental value to me, I hacked that thing up and put so many different pickups in there. Ironically I've ended up with a single coil P pickup in there now, and duct tape covers the rest of the routing. :p No, it's not pretty, but it is black duct tape.