1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Telecaster Bass Question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bonbon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. bonbon

bonbon

Feb 25, 2008
    long ago i aquired a bass guitar ( it was left at my house after a jam session 20yrs ago and after many attemps to contact the owner, i gave up and let it sit in the closet) my daughter is now interested in learning to play...that got my wondering about the instrument and what we've really have...

it 's a Fender and the headstock says Telecaster Bass...
    my question is: are ALL tele basses strung thru the body???...
    this one is not and i'm thinking i might have a "franken-bass" on my hands...i've looked at a lot of pix and the tuning keys, bridge, knobs, pickguard, etc all look original (nickel-plated except for the knobs& pickguard)...i've had bass player friends look at it and everyone agrees that it "looks" original...what i can't accertain is whether it's the real deal or not, based on the "thru the body" aspect...

i'm hoping some of you will be able to help me....

BTW, it plays great and my 14 yr old could care less about the vintage side of the equation

thanks.........

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    pics, please.

3. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    i say let her play it, and only play it, no modifications! LOL.

4. BTD

BTD

Mar 10, 2008
    My first bass was a Telecaster, I sold that, but recently got nostalgic and bought two more of them in the last six months. All are strung thru the body - not sure if any of the earliest ('68 or '69) were that way or not as mine are all early 70's, but I believe they were. What is the serial number on the neck plate? That would narrow down its age...as would the date on the end of the neck (must take off pickguard to see it). Would love to see pics!

5. it is my understanding that the last tele basses 1977-?
    have the mudbucker and a standard issue barrel saddle fender bridge w'out strings through the body to finish off the the parts they had and avoiding making new bridges. These are called the third versions

here is a custom color 77 for about 2 grand
    http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1706238

check serial numbers here

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#serial

Me personally I'd get the teenager a squier TB modified and hold on to it.

6. If there is any chance at all that the bass is a Fender of that age, take it to a good guitar shop and get their assessment of it. Don't use them as appraisers, because chances are they aren't competent to do that, but get their best assessment of its originality.

There is some chance that it has significant value. In that case, although she would have fun playing it and should do so, you probably would want to get her a less valuable clone (like the Turser JTB-401) to take outside the home and play.

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I'll give ya $500 for it!!!

:)