Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Telecaster bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SmallFace, Apr 3, 2002.

1. I have lately found myself interrested in buying one of these (rather unusual) monsters from Fender, and would therefore appreciate if you Tele-owners (how many are you?) out there could tell me a little about your bass! I am primaly interrested in the later model - the one with the "huge" humbucker by the neck. Here in Sweden you don't see too many of them, which makes it quite hard for me to try one out myself. Anyway, I think they look the absolute buisness, and I am sure they sound great too! :) So - if you own one: how do you like it? Sound? Feel?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

I had one a long time ago (the one with the big humbucker).

The neck is very comfortable (mine was a maple neck, and I really don't remember whether there also were some rosewood ones on this model).

The tone is HUGE, maybe a little too much, essentially in the low-end and mid-end.

It was a great bass, but did not really fit my needs. I don't miss it. All I miss is that now its price as vintage is 10 to 15 x the price I sold it in 1981 :(

All the best,

3. JoeWho

JoeWho

Apr 3, 2002
    I had one of these that I bought brand new in 73 (and got rid of in 76). It had a clunky, uncomfortable neck and a muddy sound. Why, you ask, did I by it in the first place? Basically, I had no money back then and the music store was selling this bass as a "scratch and dent" model and I got it for like $139. It replaced the cheapo, imitation, no-name precision that i was muddling along with.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    JoeWho,

The problem with Tele basses is that they require a very good amp, able to stand its low frequencies without mud. At this time, I was using a Sunn Concert Bass amp w/215 cab, and it sounded good.

Maybe also this bass had been sold to you at low price because the seller knew it was defective (this happens in any brand, and no exception for Fender).

Anyway, I guess what makes Tele basses of interest today is that they have the design of the very early Precision basses (1951 or something like that), and so they have a "vintage" look and feel...

All the best,

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I have two - a '69 with the single coil and a '73 with the humbucker. The '73 has the most resonant acoustic tone of any fender I've ever played, and I prefer it to the '69. I think the humbucker sounds fantastic, too. But, that's me. :)

6. Wow! That's a whole lot of answers in a very short period of time :)

What really attracts me to the Tele-bass is the serious lack of real lowend in many of todays basses. And of course, there is that ultra-cool headstock design! A wide neck is something good for me as I really dislike those narrow necks that onlye make your thumb slide over the edge all the time. I like something to really grab when playing :)

7. i had a'68 with a single coil and it was stolen back in '94.it was an incredible bass with the chiming punchy midrange i love so much. my stomach is in knots thinking about it!!

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had a lefty 72 Telecaster which I installed a badass bridge. I also thought it had a muddy sound, and I sold it to buy a Rick 4001 in '78:)