Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Telecaster Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Hi

Just thinking, we all know Leo designed the precision, jazz and mustang basses - but did he design the musicmaster, VI, or telecaster basses?

2. Despite the fact that the Telecaster basses first appeared in the CBS era, the '68 non-humbucker model was based on Leo's original Precision bass design from the early '50s. It would be safe to say that he "designed" that model.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    G&L ASAT :)
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure about Fender tele-basses...but this G&L is absolutely beautifull.

4. Non sequitur. Please read the original post and then smack yourself for not paying attention. :)

Nice ASAT, BTW.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    [smack]...ouch :meh:

Maybe I should have my morning coffee before posting.

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Leo did design the Bass VI

Leo has finger prints all over the Tele Bass but it was released well after the sale of the company.

Which Musicmaster are you referring to?

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Isn't the pre eb stingray his design as well, or am I mistaken?

8. the musicmaster bass? - it was basically a slightly different version of the mustang with an altered pickup (its been re-vamped as the "Squier Bronco")

Have a look on ebay for them, you'll find loads - think it came out about the same time as the mustang, so it probably was a Leo bass...

I was actually referring to the '72 humbucker design tele bass...

Yup, the stingray was a Leo, but is the 5-string his idea? - has he done a 5-string version with G&L or was it comletely an Ernie Ball design?

(I've only got basses made/designed by fender, I'm looking at others but I wanna keep my collection pure Fender - Leo designed, etc. if possible... - I know, it's finicky but...)

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Yup - he designed the entire "student model" line. I think he struck gold with the Mustang series best. The pickup alone makes the Mustang a better bass than the Musicmaster IMO. I do understand the desirability of a 50's Musicmaster though.

Same holds true for the 'stang guitar (the switching makes this an amazingly versatile little beast) - and became the underpinnings of the Duosonic in later production years. We aren't discussing skinny strings though are we... ;)

11. Mmmm, mmmm.

Sunburst w/rosewood. :cool:

Yummy for the tummy!

That is beautiful. ;)

Mike

12. ...gotta agree with Michael on that one dude (drool!) :bassist:

Nice bass - is it yours or is it one yer really craving for? You might have just got me started on that now... :eyebrow: :help: :hyper:

13. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Here's my warmoth version.

Attached Files:

14. ...still love the idea of a '72 humbucker tele in orange with a darkish-blue tortoise guard and rosewood board though! (can you guys picture it? - I can't figure how to put piccies on this damn board, how'd ya do it?)

Also got a couple other basses in mind...

1) Fretless Black P with Seymore SPB2 (or SPB3) pickup, and
    2) Vintage style (3t-sunburst/gold p/g) P with pikup/bridge covers + vintage pups...

I dunno - they sound great though don't they? - already got 3 jazzes, a mustang (and the body/hardware of another)...

P-s and teles are more or less the only ones I ain't got, and they're what I'm after next...

Tele basses are so EXPENSIVE though! The only place to find them is on Ebay (U.S.) and they rarely ship anything abroard from over there in terms of basses/amps! So...I'LL PROBABLY JUST HAVE TO KEEP WANTING!

15. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    [​IMG]

16. Nice bass man!

Has anyone well-known ever used a tele bass on any records? - just I can hardly find any info on anyone actually USING them, let alone someone who actually PLAYED one on a recording...

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bass player for ZZ Top used them for a long time...
    I have a 1974 humbucker Tele, it's *fine.*
    sweet neck, fat tone...maybe too fat. You better have an amp and speaker cab that will help "un-muddy" it...I bypassed the tone pot just to get as much high end outta the pup as I could.

18. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Ever hear of "Sting?"

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Huh...seems like I heard of him...british bloke if I recall;)

20. uhh, hello? - that was an early 50's precision not a early 70's humbucker jobby...