1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Telecaster front vs single coil P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by azureblue, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Is it true that the front pickup Telecaster is the same as the single coil P Bass, the only difference being the number of pole pieces and their positioning on the bobbin?

I am thinking about trying a Tele PU as a tester for a single coil, 5 string P bass...

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The problem is that the pole pieces are so small diameter you will still get dropouts.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    NO.

4. would it be too much trouble for you to elaborate? That is, what are the specific differences, like, ohms, windings magnets, etc.?

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    AFAIK all scpb/Tele Bass single coils were made just about the same way. About 7k of 42 wire with A5 magnets; the main differences being the very early ones used .200" magnets and the rest used 3/16" (.188") magnets.

The Tele guitar neck pickup used 43 wire, and that probably changed over the years, wire gauge and turn count.

But, it's not a big deal. If your outside-to-outside string distance on your 5-string is about the same as a 4-string it should work. I've used many Strat pickups in basses with good results, and Fender even used Strat pickups in their MusicMaster basses (with a holeless cover to hide the six magnets).

Ime, Fender single coil guitar pickups in the 6.5-8k range sound pretty good. I'd avoid "hot" guitar pickups because they'll probably sound muddy and undefined on a bass.

6. Thanks - much appreciated. On my bass, the tele front PU is wide enough to span all 5 strings. I have a friend who has a Tele front pickup he can loan me for test purposes, so my idea was to make that top mount system described in the other thread, to see how it will sound, in place of the J front. If I like it, especially when blended with the J rear, then I will have a proper 5 str. PU made.

But you bring up using a Strat pick up, and how Fender used it in a Music Master back when. I did some session work with one fo those little basses, and they sound great on the tracks. I may try to dig up a Strat pick up, to test. Thanks again.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Why not just get an inexpensive neck version "Cool Rails" or equivalent Strat pickup, since that is the standard upgrade to make a MusicMaster/Bronco bass humbucking, but still keep the signature tone?

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    You can take a 6 pole or 4 pole fender pickup and put a 1/8" x 1/8" steel rod on top so it will cover 5 strings.

I did that here with a Rickenbacker pickup.

b%20082.

9. very good to know. If this works, I will get a proper pick up made, anyway.