Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

telecaster guitar conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-skin, Sep 19, 2003.

1. bass-skin

bass-skin

Jul 17, 2003
    buffalo NY
    ok heres the plan, i want to get a telecaster guitar like squire or mexican made, replace the bridge, neck, pickups etc essesntialy making it a bass. can anyone lend advice on if this will work, how much of a pain it would be or if theres a bass out there with a telecaster style body to save me a lot of work. thanks

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Neck dive!

3. This might be alittle late, but some guy is(was?) selling a strat/bass on ebay. I saw it a few days ago.

If I remember, it was a short scale neck to offset dive. Looked pretty good.

If I find it again, I'll try and post a link. He might be willing to answer some of your questions.

My computer here at work has a hard time with copy/pasting links, so i might not get to it til I get home.

Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558694692&category=38079

Found it!

Hope this helps

Bob

4. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Wouldn't it just be easier to look into a G&L ASAT bass. They have Telecaster bodies.:confused:

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    G&L ASAT is a Telecaster body( more or less) attached to a great bass. If you do it yourself be prepared to carve wood from the neck pocket to fit a bass neck. If you make a mistake, you're done. If the neck doesn't line up perfectly, you've wrecked the body. If you have good woodworking skills and all the tools you need go for it. Otherwise,you're asking for problems and maybe wasting money.

6. You'd be opening a big can of worms. Finding a nedk, figuring out scale length, etc. would be a struggle. The G & L ASAT has a Tele shaped body.

7. :confused:Why:confused: :confused:

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Warmoth also has a few Tele-bodies. They call them the "Custom T" shape. They have one solid and one semi-hollow in the Thrift Shop, bass-bodies-miscellaneous section. (These are actual tele-shaped bodies - not the "tele bass" bodies which they also sell.)

EDIT: the former "Thrift Shop" is now the "Showcase."

These bodies use a full-scale, standard Fender (or Fender replacement) neck. You could expect a moderate amount of neck-dive, similar to what I believe people get on an ASAT. (i.e. not as bad as a Thunderbird or Explorer.)

9. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    A stock tele body won't be long enough to mount most bass necks - you'd have to build an extension out from the end of the body to get the neck far enough away from the bridge to intonate.

Our custom Tele bass body is essentially a tele stretched a bit in the middle, and is very similar to an ASAT bass in looks.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    There was a guy that made strap extensions for the g&l..they looked great...ill find out if anyone is intrested..

and i heard that g&l is going to release a tribut version of the asat..i can't wait

steve

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Guess it's been said already, but apart from the obvious wood working involved, you need to get the intonation right (= scale length) so the frets on the neck are at the correct distance from the bridge. It's likely the body isn't long enough to achieve this. Get a Warmoth body or buy the G&L ASAT.

12. please don't do that, you'll spare yourself excessive money as well as disappointment.

13. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    :oops: ...why/where/how do people get the crazy idea they can convert guitars into basses?!