Telefunken V672 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jul 25, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve got an offer to buy an Telefunken V672 preamp at a fair price. Are these good as a bass preamp/DI???
    Im a coplete newbe to this vintage stuff.
    Is it hard to wire up one of these modules? It needs power and some conections as far as I know. I know how to solder but havenever done something like this. Are there some simple plans for doing this? I think it would hopefully be a fun project.
    Should I stay away?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. theWolfe

theWolfe Guest

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm about to rack a pair of these myself. They come with diagrams on the soldiering of the potentiometers and stuff. You will need to accuire a poxer supply of some sort for the DC current you'll require!
  4. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    I'm not familiar with a V672. I have some V76 modules and some V72 modules. At the time, lots of companies did slight variations of models and gave them different model numbers; but I've never heard of a V672. If it's a V76, my experience is that you'll be good for bass. I haven't used them in a long time; but I recall that the gain structure was better than the V72. I have a rack of V72's that worked nice for vocals. I had them modified to have pots. They are HEAVY. Most of this type of preamp was never meant to be moved, so be careful.
    As long as you can consult with a good tech, you should be able to get these going.

They're pretty old-school sounding. Which can be beautiful.
    Tubey is the word that comes to mind!
  5. theWolfe

theWolfe Guest

Aug 18, 2004
    Maybe this could help you all explore the possibilities.

Also, if anyone knows people racking these in the states please let me know. I don't want to pay shipping from germany.