1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Telemarketers/solicitors are making me insane!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Jul 22, 2012.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I am on the National Do Not Call registry, however, my landline gets about 30 calls per day from...

Local politicians (pre-recorded calls)
    Mitt Romney (Ive gotten about 3 from him... pre-recorded)
    Some group protesting planned parenthood
    The local newspaper
    Some company trying to offer me a cruise
    Last chance to extend my credit line
    Credit card offers
    etc etc etc

My voicemail is filling up, and I cant stand it. What can I Do. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    when i was put on the do not call list it all stopped...

thank god

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's exactly why I have no land-line. I'm not deluded to thinking I'm immune on cellphone, but it hasn't happened yet.

4. That's one of the reasons I have no land line, along with the fact that I get perfect cell service at my home and see no reason to pay another bill. In the past year I've gotten *maybe* one or two telemarketer-type calls max.

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    After I got on the Do Not Call registry, 99.9% of these calls stopped for me. Cell phones should be registered too. I'd gotten telemarketing calls on cell prior to DNC.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Regardless of the DNC, someone apparently forgot to tell Vonage because I was getting incessant calls. They were my last-ditch effort to maintain a landline, well, that and they cancelled the plan I signed up for, switched me to a higher priced plan, and when I quit them a couple months later, only then did they offer me a lower priced plan, ironically lower than the one I originally signed up for. You would think with my calling history and not once exceeding my minuted they would have offered up this lower priced plan for being a loyal customer. But no...so, no thanks, too little too late. Landline is the last dying breath of cable companies to bundle to rape people's wallets by conjuring up a fake need and "tremendous savings".

7. I don't have a landline and this is one of the main reasons. Plus I have a cell phone with good coverage at the house so another bill isn't really needed.

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    You need to sign up for your state's No-Call list.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Do-Not-Call List is a giant flop and scam. There are far too many loopholes in it.

Besides the fact that there is no enforcement for those that call illegally, you can LEGALLY be called by

Religious and political fund-raisers
    Anyone that you have done business with recently (banks, finance companies, department stores, etc.)
    Associate subsidiaries or partners of the above -

SO - nearly anyone can call you.

AND - they are now starting to call your cell phone numbers. This should be HIGHLY illegal because YOU are paying for the airtime.

In Europe and Asia, the CALLER pays for the call - incoming cell calls are free. This is yet another way that we are getting ripped off by the telecom companies in addition to paying triple what the rest of the world pays for telecom.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I use to have a home phone and got on the DNC list. It took about a month for it to kick in but the calls slowly started coming back in three months time. The only thing that made it "tolerable" was how my answering maching would display the number of who called. If I didn't recognize it, I didn't answer.

My home phone has been gone for a year and a half now and so have the calls.

11. you can report the number here:

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

and make sure to let the caller know you've reported them.

I still get a few stragglers now and then. I like to answer the phone and leave the line open until they hang up. After a few times of that, they usually stop calling.

How about filing a complaint with the FCC? Or like others have said, get rid of your land line? It's totally unnecessary in todays day and age.

12. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I have had some success with a referee's whistle.

13. mru2

mru2

Jan 17, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    Not much you can do, but you can laugh about it.
    Do a YouTube search for Terrorizing Telemarketers with Jim Florentine, funny stuff!

14. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I only answer calls from numbers I recognize...all other calls drop to voice mail.

15. Definitely

Definitely Banned

This one is very common recently, most of the time they use an Oregon or Washington state number. I like to answer these and troll the **** out of them if it's a real person. If it's automatic I just hang up.

16. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    LOL!

Back in the day when I used to have a land line, I had a caller ID machine and I just didn't answer any numbers I didn't recognize. I still do the same with my cell phone. Anyone who calls from an unfamiliar number and doesn't leave a message, wants something from me.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I guess it's a good thing solicitors don't leave messages, but nothing bugs me more than an unknown number who calls and doesn't leave a message for me.

18. I have a land line for a Lifeline (help, I've fallen and can't get up).

The very day the phone was installed I started to get calls. They were debt collectors looking for two different people who had the same number before I did.

Now, I have no answering machine or service and never gave the number to any one. I never pick up that line. The phone has a LCD readout that (caller ID) lets you know whose calling. It's always a 1-800 service.

19. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Yeah. If my phone blows up with fifty calls from an unfamiliar number, and the person won't leave a message, it means it's some derelict acquaintance who wants me to do them an astronomically huge favor that will never get paid back.

20. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    The only ones I get these days are the calls from "Microsoft" about "Security issues" with my computer.

I normally keep them going for 20-30 minutes before they either clue in to the fact I'm really not going to give them any information and just wasting time, or more commonly give up due to sheer frustration.