1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Telescoping cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hrgiger, Apr 14, 2009.

1. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I read where Hartley Peavey had designed telescoping cabinets where one could adjust the bass response, but it was before he started his company and no one was interested in them - he did receive a patent for the idea though. I thought this was a very interesting idea, where you could (if you could figure out how to make them properly) adjust the cab for "punch" or "lows" or whatever. And it compressed down for transportability. You could even have quick change ports for proper tuning. If you left the front panel solid somehow, you could even have swappable front panels with different drivers... Anyone heard of anything like this or any ideas?

2. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Sep 3, 2006
    Cameron, NC USA
    Never heard of such a thing, but wouldn't it make more sense to just tune the cab properly to start with and use eq for the fine tuning stuff?

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Back sometime around 1980, some company (maybe from CA?) made a large cabinet that had slides so when done for the night you could slide the top half into the bottom for portability.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's in "The Peavey Revolution" book by Ken Achard

5. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Good idea for a test cab but once the best compromise has been reached. Measure it and make it that size.
    I have seen sliding draw designs to resonate for different tunings for
    ICE competition sub bass enclosures.:ninja:

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Back in my car audio days, I made a couple of variable chamber boxes. One had a couple of JL audio 8s in it, and I could adjust the Q of the box for the sound I was looking for at that time. The actual mechanism was a linear actuator. I don't really see a need for something in the bass guitar world...but it rocked in a car with recorded music.

7. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes I have that book and that's where I read about it, but I don't think there is much info on it is there?

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You can also do it with an inflatable bag (think areobed) and fill it up to reduce internal volume, or just a box divided into two with a divider that has a big door with a hinge on it. The door is the easiest/fastest way. Big ported box to flap the roof, or a smaller sealed cab for sound quality. Man, I miss those days sometimes!

10. Trace Elliot had a cab with removable plugs for the ports. You'd tune the cab by adding or removing one or both of the plugs. I've tightened up the sound of a 4x10" quad box by stuffing a shirt in the port. Not too scientific but it did the job.

11. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    tech soundsytems (now tecamp) used to build a cab that you could extend. it was apparently very hifi sounding but not efficient and mostly bought by db players. if i remember correctly sieben audio design (also german) had a similar system.