Television Themes?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by berklee46, Mar 25, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I'm curious to see if anyone knows who played bass on a few 70's TV Theme songs w/ great bass lines...

1) Barney Miller
    2) Sanford & Son (I'm guessing maybe Chuck Rainey or Abe Laboriel?)
    3) The Bob Newhart Show

These are a few of the themes that stand out in my mind as having some killer lines.
    I'd appreciate any ideas.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Sanford & Son" is Rainey...(as is M*A*S*H)

Dammit, I just read a letter to the editor in a past BASS PLAYER from the guy who played the bassline to "Barney Miller"; he was sayin' he is often credited with the part...actually he was only playing a part that some other bassist wrote. It's cool that he was deflecting the props; wish I could remember what issue that was so I could review the names! Dammit!

...another studio bassist that did a lotta TV work during that particular era is Scott Edwards("Theme From SWAT").
  3. Jim Hughart played the "Barney Miller" theme. It was credited in BP to Chuck Berghofer, but he wrote it to say it was actually Hughart.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You nailed it for me, thanks.
    ...speaking of re-reading Bass Player mags of yore, I stumbled onto one of your letters from a couple years back; Mike Dirnt, eh? ;)
  5. Jim.. I knew someone would bust me for that eventually! I am, unashamed, a big fan of Green Day's music and of Dirnt's playing. I love that really fast, melodic, caffeinated style, with fills in just the right places. It's what I do.
  6. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Going all out for the Fat Albert theme song. Some mean bass playing there. Electric company too. Man, the 70's sure was all bassy.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    My top three (that I remember)

all cartoons:

Josie and the pussy cats
    Jonny Quest

and FInally:

Will C.:cool:
  8. when i first saw the subject to this post, the first thing that came to mind was Barney Miller! That theme is pretty rockin'! Everytime i play that, everyone's like "Oooh! Oooh! That', that detective show!"
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...damn, was it my imagination or what? Did I actually see a commercial for an up-coming movie?
  10. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    The themes for Barney Miller and Sanford and Son are killer tunes which should be performed in public. Why more people don't is beyond me. If I thought I was good enough I sure as hell would give it a try. The bass line to 'Bob Newhart' may be downright unplayable - Who was that masked bass player?!
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes you did.

Valerie has been promoted from tambourine player to bassist.

Will C.:cool: