Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell about your setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Those of us who record at home have to have some sort of setup. At the moment i use a Roland VS1880HD and a Digidesign 001. Both real nice. the Roland which is a portable digital recording studio is an 18 track and the Digidesign is permenantly attached to my computer and it is a 24 track. I also use Acid Pro 2.0 to edit and record and all. How bout yu, what do you use?

2. uh im poor. not to mention i kinda suck so when i record i put a blank tape in a recorder and press record and play at the same time. that usually does the trick

3. I just use Cool Edit Pro on my computer and make tracks with my guitar friend now and then.

-Willz

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Mac G3 w/ CubaseVST, ReCycle, Peak, ReBirth
    Alesis ADAT XT20
    Alesis Studio 32 console
    Alesis Monitor Ones w/ RA100 power amp
    Lexicon MPX100
    Alesis Midiverb4
    Behringer Virtualizer Pro
    Digitech S100
    Behringer Autocom Pro
    Line6 Pod
    bunch of mics
    Alesis QS 6 synth
    VST Instruments: LM4, ModelE, Vibra9000

4 CDs released, two with my Pop band and two solo instrumental jazz/new age discs.

-GM

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm pretty new to home recording but now that I've been playing around for a few months (at an entry level)I wish I got into this years ago.
    Anyway I've got a modest set up:

- a Fostex FD-8 Digital 8 track w/ 4GB hard drive
    (a lot of recording bang for the buck)

- a Behringer Vitualizer Pro effects unit
    (used primarily for vocal reverb - mixing and playback)

- Boss DR-5 Rhythm Machine ( what a great recording unit for Drums and other instruments I don't play)

- Line 6 POD for guitar (indispensable for the recording guitarist- I play both guitar and bass)

- Eden-WT-500 Bass amp (obviously I didn't buy this specifically for recording but it has DI capability and sounds great into the Fostex)

- Shure SM 58's for vocals

- a CD writer on my PC

- entry level Cubase software for more sophisticated digital mixing ( I'm not very good at that....yet)

I do two kinds of recording - (1) all me ( on guitar, bass,lead vocals, background vocals with my "partner" the DR-5 on Drums and sometimes piano) and (2) recording my band using our band PA as a mixer/monitor ( the Fostex can only record two analog channels at a time therefore requiring an outside mixer for live band applications)

If you've got the money this is a fabulous thing to get into.Home recording just for playing back your practice sessions is worth the expense.I'm definitely a better bass and guitar player because I spend a lot of time critiqueing my own playing (via playback).

If you have a PC with a CD writer and/ or a program like Cubase the possibilities are even more endless.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Tascam 424 mkIII I know its tape but the mixer does what I want. I start with a guitar or bass 'jam' listen then re-record the good bits into some kind of arrangement. I then record the drums on a seperate tape and build it up. It may seem a mad way of working but it helps me make a band demo rather than a guitar/bass workout. The advantages (as Dave B states) is that my playing improves every time I wince and re-record a part.

Suck up time-I'm pleased this forum is here I wont have to lurk on Dragons site (well I will a bit)

7. I have a Roland VS880. It isn't as nice as MrFortuneCookie's 1880 but it get's the job done. It has endless possibilities as far as bouncing tracks, which I've gotten pretty good at. I use it mainly for home recordings. I am also a multi-instrumentalist with a drum machine (yeah, I can be dangerous)!
    [​IMG]
    Just recently, I hooked it up to a friend's who also has the same machine and we are in the process of doing a recording with my band for a demo package.

8. I use a:
    a Pentium III PC running, Cubase VST24 and Wavelab with GRM tools and LM-4 plugins. I pipe in the sound with a Mackie CR-1604VLZ and an M-Audio Delta 66 card. The only outboard gear I have is an old Quadraverb that I just use for odd effects. <p> My mics are my real pride and joy, though: I have 2 sm-57s, 1 sm 58, Sennheiser Md-421, AKG D-112, 2 AKG C-118s, 2 Cad-22s, Carvin CM-50, Rode NT-1, and a Rode NT-2.<p> I listen to my stuff with Alesis M1 powered monitor or AKG 240M headphones.<p>I also occasionally use a sansamp DI for my bass, or a Rolls headphone amp for when more than one person needs to monitor.<p> wish list: a good mic preamp, a Neuman mic, a vintage tube compressor, Mackie digital 8.bus, and a T.C electronics. :D I'll keep on dreaming.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my studio has been a joint effort with the other guys in my band, but i bought the bulk of it. we have :

mackie 24x8 console
    mackie 24.e expander (gives a total of 48 channels
    yamaha pro-mix 01

5 Alesis ADATS (2 xt20's, 1 xt, and 2 blackface), all connected via elco cables
    jl cooper datasync2 (to connect and synch the adats to the computer)
    p2 300 mhz running cakewalk pro audio to control and synch the adats

mackie hr824 powered monitors
    alesis monitor ones
    alesis ra-100

behringer multigate quad expander x2
    aphex 105 quad gates x2
    aphex 106 quad compressors x2
    aphex 107 tubescence mic pre (lame)
    joe meek sc2 stereo compressor
    joe meek vc1Q vocal channel/preamp (killer)
    avalon vt737sp tube mic preamp (on the way) (VERY KILLER)

alesis quadraverb q2
    boss se70
    digitech tsr24
    digitech studio vocalist
    tc electronic gforce
    lexicon lxp15-II
    rocktron intellifex

i have pictures of all of our toys on our site...

http://lordonly.net/lostudio3.htm

we just got the joe meek vc1q, so i don't have pics up of it yet. here's another pic, with a few of my basses in front. :D

[​IMG]

10. J.T. Your the Man! Who does your enginering?

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

i do all the engineering, tracking and mixing, as well as the role of co-producer.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    yo JT! your getting a 737? you must let us know how that is when you get it! The best i can do right now is the Avalon screen saver. though I suppose i could get the Avalon DI.

Thanks.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey coyoteboy

we've tried the thing out for an extended weekend compared to the joe meek vcq1 - we were going to decide between the two of them, but we ended up deciding to bite the bullet and go for both of them

the joe meek has a neato processed tone - sounds very "stage-reflexish;liveish" sorta like at a gig. another way to think about it is to think about the vocals on Garbage's version 2.0 - that song "push it" sounds like it was done with the meek. the problems we had with the meek is that the eq is very limited, 100 hz, sweepable mid at 750 hz to 4 khz, and high at 8 khz. the unit seemed to lack "brightness" and "shimmer", or "airyness".

the avalon, on the other hand....

jesus H, well you know. the unit is awesome. the eq is incredible - 4 bands, low and high are semi parametric - with freq sweeps for the high freq up to 32 khz. why? you might ask - for the airiness, the presence that gives a vocal a nice shimmer without being too sibilant (hissy "sss"es). the 2 mid range frequencies overlap immensely - they each have sweep knobs, (i forget the frequencies, i don't have the unit anymore, just a loaner, hopefully we will be getting ours soon) but i think the sweeps are, for the low mid, 25 Hz to 220 Hz and 250 Hz to 2.8 KHz. furthermore, each mid frequency has a x10 button, that multiplies the frequency that it effects by 10, so it changes the sweep for the low mid to be 250 Hz to 2.2 KHz, and the high mid becomes 2.5 KHz to (!!) 28 KHz (!!) . it also has a real nice compression, very transparent and clean.

the joe meek vocal channel is really cool for adding an interesting sound to the vocals. it would be ideal for a punk band or a hard rock band that wants a loud, in your face sound, or an interesting, semi-overdriven sound to the vocals, although without any enhancement or eq, it tends to sound a bit dull. the compressor tends to smother the high freqs a bit, but it is still very musical, it just has its own sound.

the avalon is perfectly transparent. the whole unit is very clean sounding, very pristine. i plugged an re-27 microphone into it (a dynamic mic) and with a little eq, i was able to make it sound as good as the large diaphram condenser mic that we are recording with - an Equitek E-300. the shortcomings of the avalon, and the reason why we decided to keep both, is that it is difficult to reproduce the joe meek's sound on the avalon - the joe meek can have this dirty, overdriven (they call it "enhanced) sound that is really cool for some songs, and is sorta counter to what the avalon does, although i didn't experiment with overdriving the avalon - might be cool, since it's all tube.

still though, when i get the avalon in, i will be sure to give everybody an in depth report. :D

14. Oy, vey. I WAS thinking about posting a pic of my modest little studio, but then I saw JTs studio with some of his bass armory and decided against it :p

I use a Roland VS880 dig. studio with a Roland keyboard, Yamaha guitar, the listed basses in my profile, and a Boss DR202 drum machine. If you'd like to hear the results, plz check out (shameless plug) my MP3 at http://www.mp3.com/entrylevel .

Recording is a blast, indeed. It's what I do instead of gigging :)

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    ART 24 Channel Board
    Soundcraft SubZero Near Fields
    Aark 20/20 card (10 in/10 out)

Stienberg's Nuendo Multitrack Software
    Cubase VST 32 (never use it)
    Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (almost never use it)
    Acid Pro 2.0 (use it all the time)

More plug ins than I can list here

I use this stuff primarily for songwriting / demo purposes, but have done a lot of mixing for both myself and paying clients. I have also done more than a few vocal demos here, and he other day did a demo for a BASS trumpet player!

16. Whoops, forgot to list my monitors...M&K S100Bs with a M&K VX100 subwoofer run by an Adcom power amp. Also use Sennheiser HD410 headphones.

Everyone, plz list your monitoring system and phones, too. They are probably the most important part of the whole rig. Your songs only sound as good as what they got mixed/recorded to.

17. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Hi,

Just a teeny bedroom-sized rig. Purely for self-entertainment...

Korg D-8
    in the odd chance I use outboard FX, I have only an old Alesis Microverb III.

Guitars are Hamer U.S.A.'s through a Marshall JCM-900 or Lee Jackson XLS head (thankfully, I'm a hack at guitar, too!)

Bass runs through a Trace 7215

Have an SM-57 and a cheap EV.

Saving for some Beyer DT-770 phones, currently using cheapies.

Best Wishes

18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    after i read what some of you guy use, I think i should shut up!

i use my computer, with cakewalk 9.0, sounscape elite souncard, sonic foundry, acid pro, rebirth a couple of plug-in, eq compressor. I use my old 4 track to bring my sound in my computer. I only own 1 mic, a sure SM57. I guess when you have only one mic it should be that one. I don't record much though...

19. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Okay, I've gotten over my MAJOR inferiority complex from viewing Mr. Turner's wonderland and am now ready to confess to my meager setup:

Gateway Pentium III 500 w/ 13 gig hard drive (currently our only computer, but soon to be dedicated to music only)

PG Music Powertracks 7.0 recording software

Standard Soundblaster sound card

Gateway/Boston Accoustic Speakers/Subwoofer

Microphones: Rode NT-1, Shure PE-56D, Unknown SM-58 clone.

ART Tube MP (used both as a mic & bass pre-amp)

ART MDC 2000 compressor/limiter

10" Boss Tube Guitar Amp (for recording guitar)

Zoom 506 and Zoom 1010

Old Ibanez flanger and compressor stomp boxes

Thanks to a recent bonus, within the next two months this setup will change to include a Darla 24 soundcard and a Mackie 1202 mixer. If I get a raise or another bonus, I will likely add a pair of Event 20/20's to this setup.