Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell Me About Avatar Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap_happy, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Hey, I've been playing bass for about 4 1/2 years now but am pretty new to Talkbass. I've only heard about Avatar cabs since I've come here because their not very widely talked about or advertised elsewhere. My amp doesn't really need upgrading at the moment but could pretty soon. The volume is enough but the tone isn't the best. Anyway, I'd just like to know about the company and the reputation of its cabs, strengths, weaknesses, that kind of stuff. Regardless of price, how do they compare to more popular (and expensive) company's cabs - G-K, Hartke, and particularly SWR Workingman's (My current set up is Workingman's 4004, 4x10T, 1X15T). BTW, I have searched for info on this already but couldn't find too much. Thanks, Jim

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Jim,

You can find everything you're looking for by using the search tool.

3. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I have and use a B410Pro 4ohm with my Kustom GB1200 head at 750+watts and it sounds great as a stand alone or ontop my 15 toa sub

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah what he said. Avatar has got to be about the most asked about it seems.

5. Shroeder, reported to be excellent cabs but expensive.
    Avatar are good cabs at a good price.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are using SWR, Avatar has great compatibility with them. I use an Avatar 2x10 pro with a Workingman's 1x15 (works better than with my Mesa 1x15) and they sound awesome.

Your rig seems pretty decent already and I say Avatar is in the same range in terms of quality as most SWR, Ampeg, GK cabs. I havent really figured out what the Avatar tone sounds like... think its pretty transparent. Maybe a little nicer than the newer Harke stuff coming out, and in another class than budget stuff.

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Avatar cabs are some of the best cabs for the money out there.!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

I have a 210 NEO and am ordering a 212....not sure of whether it'll be NEO or Delta...I kinda like 1000 watts of the Delta, but I hook them to a Kustom GrooveBass 1200 head and I've got serious tone, thunder, and POWER!!! (and cash left to feed other G.A.S.)

Like the other two guys said...do a search for Avatar, you'll probably find 3 days worth of reading!!

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Avatar's weakness was the bad tweeter crossover. But now that they fixed that, the cabs lack a weakness.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The avatar cabs weakness is it's low sensitivity, so you need a bigger power amp to get a large sound out of it. I found this out the hard way since he doesn't list the sensitivity specs on his site. If you play at low volumes then they are great, but if you need to compete with Marshall half stacks...look to schoeders or something that can utilize the wattage more efficiently.

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but...

I've noticed that cabs with higher sensitivity ratings have lower power handling ratings and cabs with higher power handling ratings have lower sensitivity ratings. Are these two things corelated? Are there cabs with high power handling and high sensitivity?

11. Thats an interesting point Jazzin I would like to hear an answer to that!

12. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Take a look at some EA, Schroeder, and Accugroove cabs and you'll see high power handling with high sensitivity.

It's quite often a trade-off, and the two aspects are DEFINITELY corelated, along with numerous other variables as a part of driver/cabinet design. So, in other words, yes, they're related, but there's more to it than that.

13. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I have an Eden WT-800B and am running a 2x10 neo on top of a 4x10 neo with great results. The sound is very even and balanced at any volume.

Both cabs are 8-ohms and I am running my head bridged @ 4-ohms. This equals 1,100 watts (550 per cab). This is enough stage volume for any gig I've played including outdoor venues.

I am very satisfied with this setup.

Hope this helps,