Tell me about bad B strings.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Aug 15, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    As a lefty, I haven't exactly had the chance to play many different basses, but I don't think I've ever come across one with a truly bad B string, either. Exactly how do bad B strings sound and exactly how does the "floppiness" I keep on hearing about manifest itself? Does it mean you can't really hear the difference between the notes lower than, say, Eb if you play the bass unplugged, or does it just mean the string tension is very low so you have to use a lighter touch for the B string than for the other strings? Does it mean the string sounds "dead" and there are fewer harmonics?
    Sound clips would be cool, too, of course. :D
    Now tell me your experiences with bad B strings, if you please.
  2. I had a BAD B string on my BTB. It was super floppy to the point that if you tried to play a couple 16th notes you'd be missing the string on occasion. It also had far less output than the other strings...and this is with a pick-up height adjustment.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Different basses I've played have required different guages of B strings to react to my satisfaction. I wouldn't blame the bass, they each have their own voice, and to get it to sound and react like the voice in my head sometimes takes different guages, and sometimes tapered-core or non-tapered core, depending on the bass.