Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about Bubinga...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Sep 30, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Its one of the options I have for my fretboard.

2. Never heard of it being used as a fret board, but it is a exrremely dense, very hard wood. It's very heavy(usually), and it's a very deep dark brown. You can get all sorts of grains in it, from straight, to curly, almost quilted grains. What other options do you have for your fret board?

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    never heard bout that cos you dont read a lot in here, aside from that youre right, Its also expensive, it might be weird but i like the way this fretless bass of a friend sounds it has swamp ash body swamp ash neck and bubinga fretboard.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    bubinga is used for fretboards more often than you seem to think. Works great for this use.

Peace,
    JP

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I only knbow it as a body wood, but I love it. My next bass will have a bubinga top and wenge-bubinga neck, as well. Can you tell I dig bubinga? ;) :D

As a fretboard, I presume it will add some brightness and clarity (its dense) and maybe a bit growl.

I've seen a few basses with bub FBs, but the only one I've heard was Tye Zamora's (Alien Ant Farm), and it sounded good :smug:

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    fwiw, rickenbacker uses bubinga for its fretboards.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Don't you think it's time you gave all the specs on the bass you're having built???

;)

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I love when Nick gets backhanded. *AHEM* here's a cool site with wood pics and descriptions http://www.exotic-wood.com/bubinga.htm

EDIT: YESSS!!^^Lewis Black for pres!! "BBBBBBBBDon't think about it just do it or else Blood'll shoot outchyer nose"

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This wasnt backhanding, just correction.

BTW nick, if you say dark-brown... are you sure you have a Thumb NT? That has a bubinga body; however, the Bolt-on has an ovangkol body that is dark-brown

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Well I see it in my own little world as backhanding and I LOVE it, not as much as Hungarian food though.

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

Ok, its unhealthy, but come on, it must've had been a really bad cook if you didnt like it - or you tried the wrong types :p

13. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Soon Mark, all I need to decide now is the board wood and the fan scale. now what gives me mixed feelings is that being a stiff and dense wood it could do wonders for neck stabilitly, the heavy part is the drawback, I do pretend this to be as light a possible.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Email Bill with your questions/concerns and see what he suggests.... He's been doing this for a LOOOONG time you know....

;)

15. The bass that your using for your design inspiration has a bubinga fretboard, as I'm sure you already know. Stews new 10 string does as well, if I'm not mistaken.

I think a piece of Bubinga with some nice figure would be a great addition to your bass. East Indian Rosewood can also be very striking when you find a piece with some good color and figure.

16. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Here is one of mine with a Bubinga fingerboard and pickup covers.
    [​IMG]

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    One thing's for sure, it's fun to say. :cool:

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    His is the bolt on special edition. I have a thumb NT, and it's a brownish red.. a little darkish.. not really.

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I thought it was pao ferro and rosewood depending on application. I may be wrong.

20. Lovely stuff Bubinga - if you get a <b><a href=http://www.munkio.com/jeffchapman/basses/warwick_superclose.jpg>good bit</a></b> - but I still get back ache when I play my Thumb NT for more than an hour standing up - which I do quite often...