Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about Burns basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Keef, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    ... please..!

I love the funky designs but have never heard or played one. Anybody got the lowdown on these?

(and what the devil is "Wild Dog" tone???)

Thanks,

~ Keef

•

2. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Bump..?

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They used to be made in England. :)

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've got a Marquee: 32" scale, 3 pickups, white with lots of balck PG and a headstock big enough that I call it 'Flipper'. It's decently made, sounds OK and plays well now it's had a setup. Not the best bass in the world, but I've played a lot worse and it has it's own unique vibe and tone though it's pretty flexible tonally.
    Wild Dog is some phase switching setup on the pickups, but I'm not sure exactly what.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5556

5. I love the look of the Bison but playing one left me rather underwhelmed, very rattly and unsubstantial in feel and tone.
    Wild Dog seems to remove all guts, although it would probably sound good distorted at high volumes.

6. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks for the info, folks. I love the way these look but finding any Burns info from players is a bit difficult.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Personally, I like em, but they're not for everybody. I'd call it more of a stage bass than for recording.

8. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA