Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about half-rounds, semi-flats...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by C_Flat, Jun 10, 2003.

1. C_Flat

C_Flat

Jan 29, 2001
    I've been using TI Jazz Flats on my 4-string Jazz Bass Deluxe for a while now. I just bought a used SWR Super Redhead amp and have concluded that the SWR much prefers roundwounds (I'd saved the ones my used JB came with)

I love the brighter punchier tone of the round-wound / SWR combination, but I could give up a little of the punch & snap in exchanged for reduced fingersqueaks. I use "roller-wound" GHS Nickel Rockers on some of my guitars for the same reason.

What's the scoop on such bass strings?

Thanks in advance,

Cb

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Half-rounds are made by grinding off about half of the final wrap of roundwounds. As you have surmised, they have less treble than roundwounds, but considerably more than flats. Less fingernoise, less fretwear, etc.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I tried the D'adario half rounds and I really liked 4 out of the 5 strings. Maybe I got a bad set but the B string sounded very dead. The other four sounded great. Like a nicely broken in set of steel rounds.