Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about JayDee basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jun 26, 2005.

1. My local GC has a JayDee. It believe it is a Mark King model. Its a pearl Green in fair condition. Lots of dings and dents. I played it and it actually sounds GREAT but I think they are asking $1800 for it. Its been at the store for over a year and a half and does have a decent amount of wear and tear on it.

What are peoples opinions of these basses?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's probably the same one a friend of mine owned a few years back. Seems to have gotten around.

Hard to put a value on JayDees stateside, they seem to have a much stronger market in Europe. I'd consider $1800 to be top dollar for that bass. Ask what they'll take for it.

3. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    I know a guy who had John Diggins build a bass to his specs for not a lot more than that.

http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/

As far as the one at GC, is it the same one that was on eBay a while back that had a headstock repair? Look closely before you buy it if you decide to...

4. Same one your friend owned?? Did they really make that few of them??

5. I did notice anything with the headstock but I'll look again next time I go there. I'm not sure how serious I am about buying it to be honest. I mean, its a slap monster but I'm not sure what else I could use it for.. Plus, the condition its in really doesnt warrent the price. But, who knows?? Its been there for a LLOOONNG while, they may be ready to push it out quick..

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

That wasn't a very common color. Look familiar?

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kingmenow/

If it's the bass I'm thinking about, it belonged to a friend of mine in VA, ended up at the Bass Palace in PA. AFAIK it wasn't originally green, the color actually changed with age.