1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about my effects loop...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by doctorpunch, Oct 22, 2010.

1. What are some of the pros and cons of using the effects loop as opposed to in line?

My board is as such:

Bass

Korg Blackout
    Digitech distortion
    Crybaby wah
    multi-chorus
    Tech 21 Sanamp
    Digitech reverb

SVT-4

Are there any advantages to running my bass directly to the amp with the effects on the loop? What do I gain and lose?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You probably don't want to put any of those in the loop. Effects loops are almost always at line level while pedals are at instrument level, so there would be a large volume drop and things will generally sound bad. Effects loops are primarily for rack effects, outs to mixers, etc. which run at line level. The idea is that you'll get cleaner delays and such when you run them in the loop as it doesn't go through the preamp first, but stompboxes aren't generally designed to go there.

3. I've never used an effects loop on any of my amps. To tell you the truth I have no clue what they are used for. All I know is that my rig sound good with all my effects running in front.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Bryan's correct; to continue what he said, check out the FAQ linked in my sig for more detailed explanation.

5. sub-commandante

sub-commandante

Feb 12, 2016
    Amazing resource in your FAQ section, thx. In fact ..you are the reason i have a diamond bass comp on my board.