Tell me about New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I left New Orleans close to four years ago and moved to San Francisco. I've had a rough time of it here - no friends, no band, no life. I've got a few opportunities opening up for me that would pull me away from here; one of which is working as a marketing director for a certain guitar manufacturer that I refuse to mention by name.

I'm really considering it, but I'm curious as to what the scene is like there - socially, financially, musically, and housingally. I've got lots of friends down there, all of which give me conflicting reports about what's happening. Of course, none of my friends are bass players, so their opinions are automatically suspect. What say you?

Ironically, if this opportunity had come up any other time, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. But now I've got people in LA calling me up for gigs, bands in SF want me, and people in NOLA want me. I've got too many options now, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with myself. New Orleans seems to be the safest option, actually; my other options are working for Clint Mansell writing soundtracks in Hollywood, or playing bass for Kaura ( - neither of which would really be financially viable immediately, but could become so later down the line. Who'd have thunk that 6 months after Katrina it would be the most secure place for me to live?

So... whereyat?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Put all your options on a dart board. Close your eyes and throw a dart at the board. Go where the dart lands.

3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I would guess that the scene is below sea level right now*

*Errr not meant in an offensive way, rather, I'd like to point out the dangers of moving to a place that has been flooded and can be flooded again. I would have to be paid a LOT to move to New Orleans, and even then, I'd wait for levees that are guaranteed to survive the hurricane season.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    May I point out the dangers of living where you do, sir? How many terrorists have blown things up near your neck of the woods lately? Or how about how many earthquakes happen in San Francisco? Or tornadoes in Kansas? C'mon dude. There's no perfectly safe place to live, and to say that people should stay away from New Orleans just becuase it floods is ridiculous.

But you can't get a good po'boy anywhere other than New Orleans, and that makes it worth the risk.
  5. The man speaks the truth. I'm headed to work in a while, so I'll try to answer your questions as best I can when I get back.

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, dude..... but Long Island is considered one of the most vulnerable spots in the US for a hurricane to hit. I've even heard it suggested (although I don't quite agree) that a fast-moving 'cane could do more damage up there than Katrina.

EDIT: For reference:

As Benjamin said.... there are risks everywhere.
  7. Well, a lot of NO's poor/homeless are now wandering the streets/commiting crimes here, so I assume it might actually be a little cleaner there now. The vocalist of my band went to NO not long ago, and actually said he liked it a little better this time around.
  8. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    My house in New Jersey is situated in a fairly safe area. We're well above sea level and far enough away from New York City that short of a hydrogen bomb being detonated in Manhatten, we'll be fine. My house in Long Island is on the North Shore, which is at little to no risk of hurricanes. Even if one does hit, we're in a relatively safe position:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but those things sticking out into the beach are giant rectangular enclosures filled with rocks. The black lines represent the approximate property borders. The L shaped building is the house, built with a reinforced concrete basement. The rectangular building below it is the barn, which is also built with a reinforced concrete basement. The rectangle above the house is a deck built for helicopter landings (I have no idea why). The house is about 70 feet above see level, hence all the stairs leading down to the beach. The people who owned the house before us were a little construction-crazy, so we feel safe enough when we're out there.

The most important difference between Long Island and New Orleans is the elevation. I wouldn't feel safe in a coastal region that's at or below sea level, or near a river. There are parts of Long Island that are only slightly above sea level, and I wouldn't want to be there. I wouldn't want to be much closer to New York City either.

As long as you're insured and you're willing to leave if a hurricane is coming, then you'll probably be ok.
  9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree. I'm about 30 miles from NO, but further north, about 17.5 feet above sea level, and about 3 miles inland (from Lake Pontchartrain, not from the Gulf of Mexico). +17.5 feet probably sounds low to many of you, but it's far better than being -6 feet, and protected by levees.

I grew up a half-block from the now-failed 17th street canal levee (it made for a great acceleration ramp when riding bikes as a kid); made a conscious decision (many factors, but the elevation was one of 'em) not to remain there.
  10. Moving to NOLA is worth it for the food alone..........
  11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

MMMMM...shrimp po boy. i need to go back to Nawlins.
  12. I had one of those today. Usually I go w/ catfish, though

I like it just fine here. Too bad I'm not in mid-city, though.
  13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'll be down there Monday afternoon - Tuesday morning. Don't think I'll be able to report much except about the condition of some offices on Poydras St. and maybe the HOB.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    BS... i missed you bud! glad to see you posting again:)

On to thread

Um well... name 1 place in the world where its safe? There is none so calm down...
  15. I would say you're all safe in yuppie bars, but then i remembered yuppies carry yuppie lice, which they get from their rich people furniture.

Did you fellas forget about super volcanoes? Look out.
  16. I'm a married man with 2 kids, so I'm not sure how to answer this. I'll tell you that my coworkers (all in their early twenties) seem to think that everything is back to normal on this front.
    Not sure if you mean income or mentioned a job prospect, so I assume you're set. Expenses. Ouch. Things are a bit more expensive. Gas is a little higher than comparable locations in the country. Seafood is up ($3.99/lb for boiled crawfish!). Most everything else that I can think of is about the same.
    Can't help ya here. I do the garage thing and do it poorly. My lack of said social life affects my ability to tell you if the scene is back up to whatever it used to be at. I assume that it has shrunk with the samller number of available gigs.
    Housing is up, no doubt. It has fallen a bit since the massive spike in September/October, but maybe not enough to wear off the sticker shock. Ignore what you've heard about there being "no" available housing. The coworkers I mentioned earlier have had friends find apartments (with a little difficulty).
    Lastly, the traffic is horrible on I-10. The rush hour headed west is worse than it ever was before. If you're going to live in the city, your only traffic problems will be the transient labor (of which I was a member) at the allotted times (early morning, lunch, early afternoon).

Aside from's still home. I'm not leaving.

17. I dunno. There ARE safe places to be. Portland it one of them. Don't let them fool you. We are NOT tectonically overactive like they might have you believe, and if Mt Hood goes it won't be headed in Portland's direction. The only thing you have to worry about on a regular basis is rain. And mud. And the occasional banana slug.:D

Rock on
  18. I bolded the word that caught me. So, is the area tectonically active? Does it have the potential? More likely than, say, south Louisiana? This is where I'll probably part ways with your school of thought. You see, we had about a week's notice that we might be in for some s**t. By Friday night, I knew enough to start packing (3 days before the storm), and I was far from the first. My point is that you know what's coming, when, and how bad it will be. Earthquakes don't offer you that luxury.

19. True.

You guys get hurricanes EVERY YEAR. That's why it's called HURRICANE SEASON. Every year people are killed, houses are destroyed, cars are overturned, etc etc etc. And then the next year they are all back there again. Whereas here in the Willamette Valley, geological evidence shows no quake greater than a 5.0 in the past 10,000 years. As my father puts it, we are in an a-seismic zone. And he should know, being a registered geologist with a Masters in Geology and a bachelors in Vulcanology. We are quite safe here.

Seattle, on the other hand....

Rock on
  20. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I love New Orleans... been in love with the Big Easy since my college days in Austin, Texas... way back when most of you whippersnappers were just a twinkle in your daddy's eye. I was, and I still am... heartbroken over the death and destruction caused by that dammed Katrina... :crying: :mad: :spit: I lost some friends, and I have friends who suffered some losses... although I personally think it unwise to rebuild the city on it's current location, I do understand the sentiments of those who want to...

...I just continue to hope and pray for those who lost so much in both New Orleans and Mississippi... and, I am very aware that a hurricane could do as much, if not more damage right here in Paradise. The islands got hit by Iniki back in '92, while the island of Oahu, and the city of Honolulu were spared Iniki's furry, the island of Kauai suffered a lot, and is still recovering in some degree nearly 13 years later... :rollno: