1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell me about nylon strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jaycat, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Jaycat

Jaycat

Sep 8, 2018
    Hi all. I am new to bass and find the strings that came with my Ibanez TMB100 to be kind of noisy. Could be my (lack of) technique at this point...

However I played my buddy's bass equipped with what I think are (black) nylon strings. They felt much smoother with much less associated squeaking etc. Possibly the sound was less bright however.

I'm interested in your thoughts on nylon strings, and recommendations for any particular type/brand. Thanks!

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Look for any of La Bella's White Nylon Tapewound strings if you would get the brightest nylon strings. But, beware that for some, they might cost quite substantial in comparison to your Talman bass price tag.

Still, you could get them on sale from BSO (temporary?) closing down in-stock items.

3. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    You're talking about Tapewounds. There are lots of companies that make them, but, like Aidil said, the white tape wounds are generally considered to be brighter than their black counterparts.

Jaycat likes this.
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    One more thing, nylon tapewound strings are mostly light gauge despite 50-105, cause the strings underneath the tapes are much smaller than those numbers. Don't know exactly, could be 40-95 strings inside, which might be too light for some who has strong plucking fingers.

La Bella does offer heavier set of 60-115. But, in order to use these, you would have to file the nut slots of your bass larger.

Jaycat and Element Zero like this.
  5. Jaycat

Jaycat

Sep 8, 2018
    Any opinions on the Fender 9120 Nylon Tapewounds? They're 58-110. Would those require any filing?

skwee likes this.
  6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Possibly yes, for sure don't know.

I've used .110tw low-E from Fender 8250 set on my previous LTD bass without having to file the slot, but never on any of my Ibanez basses. Never also have I used anything larger than .050 G on any of my basses.

Jaycat likes this.
  7. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    If it's just about the finger noise then flatwound strings are pretty much as quiet as tapewound strings. Flatwounds are also not as thick as tapewounds, as someone already mentioned, so you can get a "normal" gauge/tension set without having to modify the nut slots in any way.
    There is also more variety in flatwounds generally speaking and you can experiment with a cheaper set of strings since tapewounds are even more expensive than flats.

Jaycat likes this.
  8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I dig the D’addario Black Nylon Tapewounds. Less tension than most round wounds but not limp noodle status like the La Bella White Nylons.

Jaycat and edencab like this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I didn’t find the LaBella White Nylon series to be “limp noodle status” at all. I’ve got them on two basses and the tension is just fine. Felt very much like non-hexcore round-wounds to my hands.

Nick Danger, Element Zero and Jaycat like this.
  10. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    To me, white tapes are the same tension as black tapes...

Jaycat likes this.
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Very different experience. Completely unplayable... for me. I’m a bit heavy handed and am used to more tension. Tried em on 2 basses and took them off within an hour. Then again, I like TI Jazz Rounds though lol.

40Hz and Jaycat like this.
  12. I find "Bright" and "Brighter" are relative terms with tapewounds. What I observe with my D'Addario tapes is how much fun they are after a history of Rotos and the once-great Dean Markley Super Rounds. But I'm not searching for that roundwound tone with my semi-hollowbody.

Jaycat likes this.
  13. portpc

portpc

May 31, 2011
    I've used these on a Fender P Bass w/original nut for several years and they did not require any filing. Nice warm tone.

Jaycat likes this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Different hands, different feel, I guess. But I have a fairly light touch so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Funny thing though…I’ve got TI Flats on one bass and those have a touch softer string tension than I usually prefer despite me having a light touch.

Just no pleasing everyone as grandma says :laugh::thumbsup:

Jaycat and Element Zero like this.
  15. I use these on a couple of my basses. The wrapping on the E string by the ball end is a little thick, and doesn't quite fit through some bridges, but the solution is really just to fray the wrapping a bit rather than alter the bridge itself. I think these are highly underrated strings. The wrapping is not completely smooth like many other tapewounds. I find them a perfect medium sonically between roundwounds and "standard" strings.

portpc and Jaycat like this.
  16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Which La Bella white tape set did you have, 50-105 or 60-115?

I've yet to receive mine. They're on its way from BSO. I ordered the 750T-CB-XL set (043 .050 .065 .085 .105 .135T). It usually took 2 to 4 weeks for me to receive any packages from the States. OTOH, I have a bass strung with D'Addario (black) tapes which tensions felt nice. They are light, but very much are still usable. Certainly I'm not hoping the white tapes which I've yet to receive to be "limp noodle status".

Jaycat likes this.
  17. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    These are my favorite strings, and what I use on my Fender. Wish I could get double-ball version for my Steinie.

portpc and Jaycat like this.
  18. Jaycat

Jaycat

Sep 8, 2018
    Well, I went ahead and ordered these. They should be here in a couple days, so stay tuned for a report.

Many thanks to all who have contributed.

Morrighan likes this.
  19. I have a Hofner Beatle Bass and use LaBella White Nylon Tape Wounds on it. Rounds were too bright, flats were too dull, these are great. Going from flats to tape wound is a big difference in tension but they don't feel floppy to me. I did have to adjust the truss rod and set intonation after switching but not a big deal as I love to work on my instruments.

Chickenwheels and Jaycat like this.
  20. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    wait!!! That link refers to medium scale set of D'Addario tapes... Your TMB100 is a standard 34" scale bass, so you should've ordered the long scale set.

Morrighan likes this.