1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about Schecters

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Washburnbassist, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Washburnbassist

Washburnbassist

Mar 10, 2008
    CAn Anyone Compare the different versions of the Stiletto for me?

2. just the stiletto?
    I have a C-4...

3. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I bought my son a used c-5. It is solid as a rock. The neck is attached with 6 bolts, and is very true. There are no dead spots on the neck. The tone from the EMG pickups is good, and is widely adjustable. Overall high quality for the price. The Stiletto is probably similar construction

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i'm gonna buy a stiletto custom 6 soon. search the schecter thread, most people seem to like them

5. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I have a Stiletto, and it's a fine chassis. I didn't love the EMG stuff, so I replaced it, but it's true that the on-board jig offers a pretty wide pallette of tones. The neck is very nice- fast and feels solid, unlike many of the "fast" but flimsy feeling necks on less expensive basses. Good notes everywhere I play- no dead-spots I can recall (as previously mentioned). It's got a few classy touches as well, like the neck binding and a nice finish.

It's a neck-thru and the body wings are Mahogany, with a thin Maple veneer (also which I don't care about, but can't easily remove!). It's not my fav shape either, but all in all it's a solid-feeling bass with a very playable neck. The balance is good, and it's got some heft to it, which I do like. Since I've spent some time and effort to make it my own, I find I'd be hard-pressed to replace it.

IMO, for the price, no one else is making anything that can touch it for a neck-thru.

6. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I had a Stiletto Elite-4 as my main gigging bass for a good six months. The EMG-HZ pickups are sterile and extremely hi-fi. If you can deal with that, the construction is absolutely top of the line and is amazing for the price. The only reason I sold it is because it'd be too much effort to swap out the pickups. I loved how the bass felt, but I couldn't get a single sound out of it I liked.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Stiletto Studio 5

Neckthrough. Great feel and quality. Natural Stain finish on Mahogany.

Again... not in love with the EMG's, but i'm using it with Flats for an older thumpy feel rather then the edgy sharp tone you see many use it for.

Love to play it. People love to comment about how pretty it is, even when my Musicman knockoff is sitting beside it. People comment on the Schecter's looks and the OLP's sound.

8. Washburnbassist

Washburnbassist

Mar 10, 2008
    Thanks guys, this pretty much sealed me on getting a Stilleto, but can anyone tell me why the studio is better (or not) than the Elite and why the Elite is better (or not) than the Custom and so on.

9. I've got the Custom 5 in natty finish. I love it to death. The neck is fast, body is smaller than my Ibanez P, and its overall comfortable for me to play. Definitely try a Schecter if there's one available.

Like others said, the EMG's may not be to your tastes. I'm switching mine once I take care of some bills.

10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Well, what do you want in a bass? I think the biggest differences will be in the offered 'features' of each- maybe woods, as I think they all have EMG stock wires. As I said though, a Schecter neck-thru is probably the best deal $$ out there for a new n/t bass- and for "off the shelf" it's pretty danged impressive.

I like the finish on mine as opposed to the Studio, since the dark color and sheen hide the transition between the veneer (top) and the body-core wood to an extent. I don't like that transition... and on the Studio it's glaring (to me). But, some of us Schecter-philes like that! (Ew... :D)

I did some intensive work to put new p'ups in mine, now it's something that suits me much better. The pickguard hides my router-trail! I wouldn't have done it if I didn't essentially like the thing. See:
    P2100001.

So go play some! ;)

11. Tom O'Malley

Tom O'Malley Banned

Dec 15, 2007
    I've played a Custom 5, and Elite-5, an Omen 4, and I own a Studio 6. I really liked all of them except for the Omen 4. One thing that really jumps out at me (that you may love or hate) is how tight the string spacing is. Also, it comes with Elixer strings, which i personally can't stand the feel of, but to each his own.

219s1hv.
    2qlygxe.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've been playing my Studio 5 pretty hard and heavy as of late and not necessarily paying as much attention to bumps and scrapes since I got my SR5 HH style bass.

The decorative tops on the Schecters seems paper thin. Definitely just there for visual more then tone use. Generally a Neck-Through will have more sustain then a Bolt-On, but also looses some of the SNAP that Pop/Slappers seem to like. Some will argue back and forth about that... Doesn't really matter to me.

I noticed last night that it's satin finish is getting some very nice 'highlighting' on edges, along the neck where my thumb slides, etc. I find I practice sitting down with it alot wearing a zip up jacket unzipped. The zipper has given some definite character to the back also.

So... I'd definitely state that the Studio is much more prone to aging and such mainly because it doesn't have 1/8" of Acrylic, lacquer or whatever they use on the other models with shiny finishes.

My EQ seems fine. May try something better.

13. Washburnbassist

Washburnbassist

Mar 10, 2008
    Thanks, I think i'll probably throw some bart pups into a studio (it's only 30 bucks more than the elite anyway) what do ya think? (By the way, I LOVE that transition)

14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the tight string-spacing! Personally I'm alright with that, though it makes the slapping thing a little challenging. I tend to gouge the tops of my fingers, and bleed all over the strings when I do that. So I don't so that! :smug: And the veneer is useless for anything but looks. I do wish it wasn't there!

As far as the finish coat, I'm sure that 1/8" is a pretty heavy exaggeration... and I'm sure this is a mere remark... I'd also prefer a thinner finish, and a harder one too as opposed to poly (I think it's polyrethane, right?). But it doesn't seem to be a problem, as the bass plays and sounds fine.

The Elixer strings are weird and I don't like them.

All good points to bring up. In fact I might even end up stripping mine, sanding off the veneer, and doing a Tung Oil finish. I bet the Mahogany would've been nice all alone! I like the grain on the back of the bass, that they covered with that useless veneer thing. I just... don't get that. Or the shape! But I play the **** out of it, so there you go.

Still a good bass, it's a very serviceable and solid instrument.

15. Washburnbassist

Washburnbassist

Mar 10, 2008
    Count Bassie, Do you have any more pics? And also what is the point of slanting the pup