Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about Stanley Jordan

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 28, 2003.

1. I'm somewhat new to jazz, but love Dave Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal, Stan Getz, and the Flecktones.

I just got a Stanley Jordan cd as a gift. Man, what's with this guy and his band? They're IN-CRED-I-BLE! I checked him out on allmusic.com, and it looks like his last album was some time ago, and they talked about him like he's dead. I think he's not.

What can you tell me about him?
    Thanks,

Mark

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Legit jazzbos regard him as a circus freak. He also hurts his credibility a bit by jumping into smoovejazz mode now and then.

Still, it's no easy feat to improvise while tapping. Most people resort to patterns. He knows his stuff.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Supposedly, he was doing his thing on the street & got 'discovered'. He can intertwine bass lines, chords, melody, & solos pretty darn well.
    His 1st 2 albums(one on Blue Note Records) I have...he did slide a little into the Adult Contemporary genre a bit. Ever catch him in Bruce Willis' Blind Date?
    I did see Jordan perform outside at out Oceanfront a few Summers ago...for free.
    It took me about 3 songs to get past the "technique". He did a helluva Hendrix & Shankar impression.
    ...and he did a helluva job on "Impressions", too!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany