1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell Me about The Bass Company

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tslicebass, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey all
    I am checking out one of these used on craigslist. Anybody know anything about these basses. Anybody ever played one???
    This is the one i am looking at
    http://www.thebasscompany.com/4stringguitars/jt400jj.html
    Looks like they go for 400 new...but for some reason this guy wants 325. It looks like it is in good shape but that seems a little high for a used instrument that runs for 400 new.
    Lil help???

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    VERY nice basses. Notice I didn't say "for the $$". For the $$, they are a steal. They are currently not being made, so the used ones might demand more $$. I just paid $440 for a 5 string, shipped, with TBC gig bag, fwiw. Best bass I have every played?? No. Great bass, able to hang with basses upwards of 2-3X the price?? Yep.

Lee

3. I have a TBC AP-400M, and I like it a lot. The one thing that I'm not so big on is the 2-band preamp in it, but that's not a huge deal. It sounds good and is crazy light (It actually borders on being too light for my tastes, but I prefer a little bit of heft) and for the money is an absolute steal. Mine is one of the best playing basses I've ever come across.

4. Jack Wilson has now relocated his shop to Bolivar,Missouri and plans to produce a limited number of basses per month.
    You may want to give him a call at 417 777 2462.He's definitely one of the nicest guys to talk to. My main bass for the last year or so has been a TBC JJ 5 string,in preference to my Cirrus 5 and Fender Jazz V Deluxe.I recently replaced the Fender pre with an Audere pre which made a significant improvement in tone,but I still keep coming back to the TBC.

5. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    The JJ has the more "pilot bass" body style, correct?? I just got a 500MJ and it is quite nice. I may have an issue with either preamp, or the pots for the preamp in mine, however. It seems the bass control gives you LOTS of low end with VERY little movement of the pot. Does your JJ do the same?? FWIW, my two phone conversations with Jack suggest he's very commited to the TBC line. The first conversation was me just picking his brain about stuff. I called after I got the 500MJ, used, I might add, to compliment the chef, as well as ask about the preamp. I told him I'd take it out and play it on a gig, and let him know how the preamp worked. He said if there was an issue, he'd send me a new one. How's THAT for customer service?? The bass is less than a year old, but I bought it used, and their warranty clearly sez "purchased from TBC only". Aside from the preamp, the bass is great. The preamp may just be that way, like the aggies are, Way lots of go, RIGHT now.

Lee