Tell me about the Fender Marcus Miller signature???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, Nov 5, 2005.

1. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I am thinking of investing in a japanesse made 4 string for my back up............are they good basses???
  2. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    With respect, do a search, you'll have enough info on the Marcus Miller to keep you reading for days.
  3. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I have a Japanese manufactured Precision Deluxe as well as a Mexican Jazz in addition to an American Standard Jazz and early '70's Precision. I find myself playing the Mexican Jazz on gigs more than any other bass I have. I play the American Standard in the studio mostly, and I have friends that love the Precision Deluxe.

I think the trick is to try out several different basses, even of the same model. When I bought my Mexican Jazz I played several ones until I found the one that sounded and fit just right! In my opinion, these make excellent backup basses, they are sturdy and well made. If I made any changes to it, it would probably be the pickups.

Good Luck.
  4. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Why do people always respond to questions with only this remark? Is hard drive space at a premium on this forum or something? Are we limited to a certain number of forums active at one time? I don't think so.

Plus, what if I happen to have some NEW information that isn't in another thread? Maybe I never saw any of the other threads, but happened to see this one, and I'd like to join the discussion NOW.

If you beleive there are other threads with information that this guy could use, be kind enough to link to them - make your response add value.

Otherwise, please everyone, if all you have to say is "you should have done a search before asking that question," please, just don't respond at all.
  5. Well, considering the Marcus Miller bass is practically discussed weekly on this message board, it becomes tiresome to say the least for those who've discussed the topic to death to copy and paste their old remarks for someone who is too damn lazy to search.

6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

1) There is more information to be gleaned from reading the 100+ previous threads about the Marcus Miller bass than one new thread can provide.

2) People who have already talked ad naseum about the Marcus Miller bass probably won't chime in again. Their experiences have been document and archived, which can be accessed by a search.

3) It's message board etiquette to A) search for your topic before starting a new thread and B) bumping an old thread as opposed to starting a new one.

4) The Marcus Miller bass is one of the most talked about basses on TB. I just did a title search for "Marcus Miller" in the Basses forum and got about nine pages of thread after thread about the Marcus Miller bass. (Most of them reading - "Marcus Miller bass - opinions?" If you can't find what you're looking for in those pages and pages of threads, then by all means post a new thread.

Finally, the first response posted his suggestion politely. If he had said "DO a search, n00b!" or "omg not another MM thread :rolleyes: ), then that would be just rude.

Basically, it would have taken less time to do a search than to even create a new thread on the original poster's part. Nobody was rude, nobody was condescending, it was just pointed out that there is a lot of information that is already easily accesible.

edit: By the way, I love my Marcus Miller bass and think it's a great buy.
  7. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    True in this case, but this general thing happens all the time on here (and, oddly, not at all on the other forums I read). I admit it's a pet peeve of mine. Most people aren't polite, as this guy was...they say something like "if you'd done a search you'd have found the answer to this question".

I stand by my point. If that's all someone has to say, my position is that they add no value to the discussion and would be better off not posting at all.
  8. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I agree. Though this instance was entirely polite, it is not always so. And to be fair, I see it on a LOT of forums, the usual response being "STFF!" (that's "Search The Forum", by the way... you can figure out what the other "F" is for). :rolleyes:

The remark is usually not much help, look how it has derailed this very thread (even though it was politely stated).
  9. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    And sorry to hijack the thread even further... but you know what I find waaaaaaay more irritating than "STF" comments?

Someone innocently posts a question like "what effect is (Geddy/Les/Marcus/whoever) using to get that sound on this song?"... and a half-dozen people all chime in to say things like:

• "try practicing for 20 years"
    • "it's all in your hands"
    • "if you can't get the sound without the effect box, buying something won't help"

Comments like that are absolutely no help, they're incorrect (an envelope filter or chorus are not "in the hands") and just plain mean-spirited and rude.

10. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Hi, polite guy here :D I hear where you are coming from, but the one thing I have learnt on this forum is if a subject has been done to death (as the Marcus Miller bass has on this forum), people who have previously and constructively given their opinion on a subject are less disposed to contribute further as it becomes a little tiresome. All I was doing was suggesting that the original poster do a search. I think they would glean far more in this particular instance.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  12. This question went to hell.

Here ;)

I searched for all threads in "Basses" with the title of "Marcus Miller"

I went into Guitar Center with my mother and I was looking at the Marcus Miller sig. bass. "That's ugly!" she says "The pickguard covers the whole bass!" I told her it was a Marcus Miller sig and she goes "He must not have had a wife to tell him that his bass looks ugly."

lol. Good times.
  13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

*que arnold voice * ....stop whining
  14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Buy this bass. Now. I love mine.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I have to agree with WJGREER...this is Talk Bass, not Search Bass.
  16. Your mom doesn't have very good taste....that pickgaurd makes it look awesome. :p
  17. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    +1 on the search

but to say it simple, Fender Japan are great basses! you cant go wrong with those!
  18. I suppose honesty isn't always the best policy then.
  19. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+ 1

That said, the MM is an excellent instrument.
  20. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    That's just it though, marcus – see, "it's in the hands" is not honesty when someone is asking about a phase shifter/envelope filter/or chorus.

If anyone here has a phase shifter built into their hands, I'd love to hear it! ;)