Tell me about the Ibanez SR 505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikarre, May 24, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I have been doing some research on getting a 5 string and this might be the one. I won't be able to try one though before I buy it....there just aren't any around here. I have played Ibanez basses before and I liked them a lot. Actually, my first bass was an early '90s Ibanez SR 500.

Some questions:

How is the low B as compared to other 5 strings. I read here that some people thought the SRX 505 low B was weak and floppy. Is the SR version any better?

How about the Bartolini setup? I'm into different styles of music, from Children of Bodem to Dave Brubeck, so I want something with a pre-amp that can be versitile. I liked the old Ibanez pre-amps, so Bartolini should be even better, but I am concerned it may be a little to mellow for metal. :confused:

Like I said, I can't try before I buy. My local Ibanez dealer guy is really cool and would order it for me I'm sure. But, the store has a store credit return policy only, so if I had to return it for some reason I would be out of luck. For this reason, I am thinking of ordering through an online company (AMS, Musicians Friend, etc). I would prefer to go with my dealer, but it would be such a hassel it I had to return it. What do you think? If I did decide to guy with an online dealer, which would you suggest?

That's about it. Anything else you think I need to know, please feel free to mention. I really like this bass on paper, and I like Ibanez, so I am hoping to get this thing in the next month or so.
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    The new 505 has nothing to do with the original other than the name: the pickups and body woods are different.

I have an early 90's 505 and the B is very even if not louder then the other strings.

I think ibanez still makes one 5 stringer out of light maple [that's what fist 500 series were made out of], but can't remember which.

I don't think you will have any un-metal issues:bassist: :scowl: :bassist:
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I have one of those mid 90's SR505's. I think I paid $700 new for it back then. Very nice bass. The only qualm I have is the thin neck for slapping but other than that it's a well made bass. I'm sure this new version is of the same grain of course upgraded with Barts and a different body wood. If you can deal with a thin neck, go for it.

In fact, if I remember correctly, the SR500 series was active and the SR400 series was not(talking mid 90's here). Then all of a sudden the SR500 series was dropped and the SR400 series was made active.
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Helpful fact for helper-outers: according to Ibanez' website, the current SR505 has a mahogany body, 5-piece wenge/bubinga neck, and rosewood fretboard.
  5. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i had an `87 sdgr 805, and while it was built extremely well and was really comfortable (if you dig narrow string spacing, that is), it didn`t really sound that great. mine had emg`s, and just didn`t had that low-end bark, growl... the b string was usable, but barely. the bass was able to cut through the mix, and sounded good through a ashdown 4x10, but i`ve found the low end to be too thin.
  6. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any advice on my problem of where to order the bass from? That is, local dealer vs. online store.
  7. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would find a good local store that actually works on guitars to order it from. The large chains like Guitar Center don't do warranty work and will will not check the set up or make any adjustments for you. Of course Guitar Center will warranty the bass with an exchange but if they had to special order it you will be without your axe untill a new one comes in.

I buy a lot of stuff on line but buying a bass or guitar on line just makes me uncomfortable. The idea of having to send it back if it's damaged or defective just seems like it would be a big hassle.

I also think we should support the local small stores as much as possible. They usually can be just as competive on pricing so give them a try.

They are in this business because they have a love of music too and usually are local people from your area so help support your local economy.

Just my humble opinion.

( and no I don't own a local store )