1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about the limit light on the shuttle 9.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gafbass02, Oct 12, 2010.

1. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Ive done a search but cant seem to find what i know is there, cause ive read it before!
    Last night i ran my shuttle with a full 6 piece band for the first time with a berg AE210. And the limit light seemed to be on the whole time, with the vol as 12 the gain at 2 ish and the gain volume at near on full. The EQ was flat apart from some bass boost and the switches out. It sounded fine and im sure ive read its not so much of an issue with these, but i was just surprised that running 500w id be lit up like a christmas tree with those settings?

Reassure me !!

2. It's means your tone is sweet ;)

Really though, just means you are close, but not at, the limiter (IIRC). On my 9.0 it's on a lot. I'm sure one of the GB guys will chime in soon :)

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think this may be the problem. I don't have a 9.0 but I do have a 6.0 and I run my input gain and volume at noon and my master volume anywhere between 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock. If I need a little more volume (rare), I raise the input volume to 1 o'clock. It's pretty doggone loud.

Your 9.0 should have quite enough volume not to clip unless your cab is not a good match for the amp.

Edit: Just saw you are using a Berg 2x10 and pumping 500w into it! Hmmm......I think you need to add a cab if you're gonna play loud. A single 2x10 ain't gonna be enough.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have the same set up as you. 9.0 into a Berg AE210. I use a five string with an active preamp. Although its been explained to me, I still don't understand how I can have my tube volume at 12 or 1:00, volume at 5:00 and master full out, and still not get a nasty overdriven sound. Even with the limit light on the amp sounds fine, or should I say, the speakers sound fine.

I don't think the 9.0 has much more volume than most of the other micro amps. What it has is more CLEAN headroom. I don't quite understand it.....but I like it.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1
    I would have to agree, but that's JMHO. I had a 6.0 running 2 UL112 cabs, and if I needed to play real loud I would use BOTH, and if I needed to play in a softer setting I just used one.

6. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Yeah I've another 210 on the way, I'm just a bit unsettled cause previously I was running a little mark 2 and markbass 102std hf and had no volume worries at all. Same band etc I've found if I run the gain at 12-1 o clock there's a massive drop off compare to say 2-2:30,3 o clock, where lots of volume piles in at once. I did manage to juggle it down to the input light only flashing a bit, and the cab seemed pretty happy, but the output section limit light was flashing away the whole time? If that's a linear pot then it sounds like I'm limiting at just 250watts appx if it's doing it at 12 o clock?

7. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    (I know that's very appx btw, and that things like eq will affect output power etc) bass was on about 3 o clock

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Aha! The tone knobs on the 9.0 are very sensitive. Adding a little bit of lows or low mids really adds a good amount of volume push to the amp.

Genz Benz is very good at customer service. Email them with any questions. They should get back to you very quickly.
    Just to add. I think the AE210 and the 9.0 are a good match.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    a few points of view:
    * you're running a 2x10.
    * this will only move so much air
    * as well, it will only produce so much lows
    * this is one reason you have your low on the amp set to 3 o'clock....which is one thing that is making the limit light go off.
    * Lastly, ignore the light and use your ears. I'd worry more about the cabinet. If it sounds good, carry on.

You're not hurting the amp.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If it sounds fine, it is fine. I suspect that because you already have compression in the signal chain the addition of the output limiter means you're getting multistage compression and thus running well within the amp's limits. If your Markbass head had a similarly calibrated LED it would have been flashing too!

11. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Yeah it sounds fine, I guess I never worried about a light with the markbass set up cause there's no light :)

12. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Idve had the midget with me too if stupid keys player hadn't taken up valuable Gaf's stuff space in the car ;-D

Oh and Alex .... Foam!? ;) hope your feeling better dude

13. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification

that's the number one reason why I wish we didn't have such lights on our amps. :bag:

14. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    I'm sure a quick stab with a screw driver will solve the problem lol (either the limit led or one the guitarists, either should produce the same result, heh heh)

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eek:

16. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    If I want overdrive with my 6.0 I max the tube and volume, turn off my tweeter, barely turn on the master, and turn up my mids a bit. I find even with my active bass I need to max the pre and tube if I want overdrive.

17. Man full master?! Thats crazy!