Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about the MM Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Feb 10, 2006.

1. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I'm mainly a fender J-bass guy, but I've been looking at the bongos a lot lately and I'm thinking of getting one. and I have a few questions.

Is the scale different than a Fender J or MM Stingray?
    If so how does that change the playability?
    Does the basswood body hold up well?

Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks!

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    They are extremely playable, well made basses. There have been plenty of opinions registered on the appearance, but I think they look much better in practise than photograph. The output is incredibly hot...more than is my taste, but your milage may vary. Excellent tone shaping with the four band pre.

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    all 3 you mentioned are 34 scale, so you won't feel any difference on your reach and such. The basswood bodies seem to be holding up well, the finish is pretty rugged. Give one a go, they are a top notch instrument and you probably won't be dissapointed.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Why don't you try a search on the subject?? They've been discussed at length here on the board. That's why the search function is there.

5. They're ugly

6. but Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...:):):)

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    My mom always told me that:

1) beauty is only skin deep - don't judge a book by it's cover
    2) if you don't have something positive to say maybe it's better left unsaid.

but she's dead now, so whatever.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Clever, entertaining and offers some real insight into the positive and negative aspects of the instrument.

You know, Bob, I bet our moms are sitting around trading "My son just had to be a bassist" stories.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They're wonderful, absolutley wonderful.

10. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Phenominal bass hands down, great sound, great durability, super preamp, its got all a bass needs.

except for its body. Cant stand that thing. Looks like UFO + toiletbowl. But, what can i say, if the tone is good and the bass plays well, who cares what it looks like.

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Feel like plastic and sound like poop. So, if you're into plastic poop, go for it.

Seriously, though, the consensus on TB seems to be they're great. I hate em. If at all possible, spend some time with one and figure it out yourself.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I love mine. The tone is massive, and it's exceptionally playable.

It actually looks a heck of a lot better being played than hung on a wall -- in fact, the headstock in particular looks quite good, to me. Personally, I'm more interested in how well it plays, how well it is made, and how good it sounds. On all three of these aspects, the Bongo scores extremely well, IMO. Great value for the money -- a well-made American bass with an amazing electronics package that creates a huge tone.

If you're mature enough to get past the omnipresent, trite "toilet seat" jokes, they're worth trying to see if you like them. I bought mine 30 minutes after playing one for the first time, and it's about to supplant my Lakland DJ5 as my main bass . . .

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Anything I say at this point will just distract people from the above quote.

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The neck on my teisco is a baseball bat. And it's definitely wooden. I'd also rather buy a cheap, well-made product from Turser than an overpriced hunk of crap from EB.

But then I guess I can't argue this point with an authorised EB stooge.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've played a few and think they look great and sound pretty darn' great too. They feel pretty comfy to my hands.

They're in no way overpriced. They're a bass that plays 'outside of the box' when it comes to looks and flexability. I believe its the only production line bass out there with a 4 band pre-amp. I've seen 5's go new for well under a grand. The body sculpting is pretty cool too, considering how many basses out there are planks with slightly rounded edges.

The only thing that has stopped me from buying one, is that they don't make a fanned fret model.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I see at least one problematic phrase that involves mutual exclusivity: "cheap, well-made product from Turser."

And you can argue with this stooge, but not successfully, I would say.

I understand that you have some sort of fantasy-based vendetta against the rather well-respected products I occasionally represent. Have you thought about getting some help? Perhaps with the proper counseling, or possibly medication, you could work your way through this.

Hope this helps.

Jack

17. Are the necks on the bongo's the same size wise as the stingrays or are they Smaller More like the sterlings?

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    The necks are not quite as slim as the Sterlings but not quite as chunky as the Stingray.

They're really perfect, and should anyone be wondering about it, I'm talking as a player, not as a stooge.

1. Is the scale different than a Fender J or MM Stingray?

No sir, the scale is exactly the same.

2. If so how does that change the playability?

The scale is the same, so not applicable. Grab you a Bongo, if you can, and I think you will be pleasantly amazed about the differences between that and your J bass (and I like Jazz basses).

3. Does the basswood body hold up well?

Yes. The finish is durable. You will, however, end up with a ding on the tip of the headstock - sooner or later - because the damned thing is like 8 feet long. Looks cool, though.

Jack

19. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+1 :meh:

20. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    very impressed with initial tone and playability. Strong voice, great neck.