1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about the Pigtronix Disnortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Nov 2, 2010.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I know someone here has one, I just can't remember who. What does it sound like? How do you use it? The whole three distortions in one box seems pretty useful to me.

2. I actually met the owner last week, nice guy. I traded a POS Spector for a 70's B25 cabinet and he let me demo the pedals. I tried out the whole lot of Pigtronix gear and the Disnortion blew me away. I'm definitely gonna grab one of them when I have the loot.

3. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Besides the Youtube demo from NAMM, can you give a basic explanation of the sound?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had one for a while. Initially I loved the fuzz and the OD, and not so much on the Octavium. Later I lost my taste for the fuzz, and only liked the OD--so I sold it. Now he makes the OD channel as its own separate very small pedal, so I have meant to pick one of those up--TBH I just haven't gotten around to it--but the OD is very good.

The Octavium is a "distortion octave up" (as is nearly every analog octave up), and it has a bright, kinda harsh ringing sound. It's definitely good for getting people's attention, e.g. for solos. Because it's a squaring of the original signal, there are no tracking issues. It has pretty much just one sound.

The fuzz is super smooth and creamy. It's definitely not the grating, cutting, spitting sound that some people expect from a fuzz--instead it is more like "fuzzy silk". The controls do allow a range of different tones, but they do not change the basic nature/quality of the fuzz. It keeps the low end at some settings, but not all.

The OD is also super smooth and creamy. Its controls allow a wider range of dynamic response than the other two effects, and it is very "natural" in its sound and dynamics. It's not everyone's cup of tea for bass dirt, but I liked it pretty well. It keeps the low end just fine--though it is not especially "big" sounding in the lows, because the highs of the clipping are quite bright.

I did have some issues with "pop" noises when switching between effects. Not everyone has that problem though. The best quality of this pedal is the parallel processing of the OD and the fuzz. That allows some really good and interesting textures and flavors that you can't get any other way.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    It's been a couple years since I tried one out. I liked the idea a lot, but wasn't too impressed with the execution -- I had huge volume jumps or drops depending on the combo of OD, fuzz and octava and I couldn't find any settings where that wasn't the case. It could probably work okay in a bypass loop so you don't have to tap dance, but it's not really workable unless you're looking for a noticeable volume boost when you have multiple gain modes on.

6. t3ch

t3ch

Nov 17, 2007
    DC
    I will +1 this whole post. Sums up my feelings rather perfectly.

7. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I believe that the "pop" issue has been fixed on all of their pedals at this point.

8. t3ch

t3ch

Nov 17, 2007
    DC
    Did they fix the octavia being useless too?! :D

9. I've had the Disnortion for a while now, and I LOVE it. The fuzz is kind of smooth, like a Muff with a bit less of a mid scoop, but since the OD is in parallel, you can easily add some nice texture. The alone, the fuzz is a bit boomy, but for a huge, heavy wall o' fuzz, it's fantastic. The OD is nice and transparent, but it can get pretty aggressive, too. Running into my Bass VT, the OD just kills it. The octavia is pretty worthless by itself, but it can add some cool color to the fuzz and especially the OD.