Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about the Strap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadlyBug, Dec 8, 2004.

1. DeadlyBug

DeadlyBug Guest

Sep 16, 2002
    I got a problem with my bass(American Fender jazz bass Plus ).If I don't hold the neck with my left hand,its head will go down till the neck become parallel with the floor. That makes me feel uncomfortable while my left hand sliding on the fingerboard. I don't know whether that's the problem of strap,if it is,what kind of strap do I need?
    Any reply would be appreciate!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's called neck dive, and it's the bass' fault, not the strap. Getting a good, thick and wide strap that sticks in place on your shirt will help, like a Levys or Comfort Strapp or something. You can also change out your bass' tuners for Hipshot Ultralights, which will help with the weight, but that's a much more costly solution.

BTW, what do you mean by Jazz Bass "Plus"?

3. I was going to recommend either a Comfort Strapp or a Neotech Super Bass Strap (you can buy these from Musician's Friend/Guitar Center). The Neotech is more affordable and just as comfortable IMHO.

4. DeadlyBug

DeadlyBug Guest

Sep 16, 2002
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The wide leather strap that Zon sells cured all the neck dive problems I had with my thumb 5. I like it so much that I went out and bought 2 more. Thanks to straplocks, every bass now leaves for a gig sporting a Zon strap. They're a bit pricely, but well worth it.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Too long for me though-I have the Short-size Comfort Strapps, which are 32"-37".

7. So do I. I like the length to be about 37". The Neotech strap adjusts from 35 to 46 inches.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mine are at 33" right now.

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Even with a strap that prevents the bass from sliding, neck dive will inhibit your playing to some extent due to the fact that the neck still wants to dive...you'll feel it in your body balance. Moving the bridge side strap peg up a tad to where it is in line with the E string will allieviate some of the neck dive and the tension it creates. Replacing the tuners with ultralights will help too. The combo of strap, peg and tuners is about all I can think of to correct the problem. My Modulus dives like crazy too.

10. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    An easy fix would be to move the strap button on the bridge end of your bass up to where it is just about even with the strap button on the upper horn (neck end) - or you could add another strap button. 2" - 3" up from the existing one.

The only downside to doing this is it's awful hard to drill extra holes in your bass for any reason. :bawl: