1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about the Trace Elliot AH350SMX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baddarryl, Aug 13, 2019.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all. I have a line on one with a 1048 cab. British made. I have a friend with a GP12smx pre amp with Trace stereo power amp going through SVT cab and it kills. I am assuming the powered head version sounds similar? Do they sound anything like the V types? Tube front and solid state power section? I also have a GPSM7 250w 15 inch combo that is fantastic, but sadly only serves as a practice amp though it is certainly giggable .

This is a 4 hour drive away. Go get it? Do these sound good at lower volumes? Not jazz but not metal either.

I have an SVT 3 Pro through Avatar cabs that I am pretty happy with, but it doesn’t quite cop that Tubey creamy goodness without a little help from Sans Amp! Also have a Quilter Big Block 800 collecting dust. Both are great, but I dunno I just love old Trace Stuff!

2. Your mate's one should sound very much the same, which is not much in common with a V type, or anything else tubey, creamy or even yogurty. More punch you in the face and steal your girl. So kinda confusing what you really want.

I would get the amp but leave the cab.

3. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I must want both!

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I think there are two "generations" of Trace Elliot amps, at least there are for certain models. The older use MOS FETs in the power amp, the newer use bipolar transistor. I think the older generation MOS FET amps contributed a lot to Trace's reputation of being "loud".
    Those MOS FETs, in that circuit, will behave a bit like tubes when pressed really hard. Instead of harsh clipping, they will compress and "over drive" in a rather pleasing way. I have had several amps of that configuration, and they all shared that "sound".

The newer TE amps are probably sounding more like other amps...

5. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Do you know what years have the MOs Fet or how to tell?

6. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    What makes you say that?

7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Found something here. Scroll far down for a detailed post.
    Trace Elliot

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I had a Trace 350 SMX; very clean, natiurally scooped, and tons of power.
    Great amp if that's what you're looking for.
    These amps sound nothing like tubes IMO.
    OTOG, I never through the 3 Pro sounded very tubey not matter what tubes I ran in it.