1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about these tubes:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Jul 19, 2007.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    These tubes came in my newly acquired '68 B15N. They are 6L6WGB GE Canada with brown bases. There is also a 67-13 on the base. Could these be the original power tubes? They are not 6L6GC's but if the 67 is the year, and my amp is a '68...

View attachment 63974

View attachment 63975

2. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Generally, 6L6WBG's are equivalent to 5881s. I doubt very much that they were the original tubes. They most likely were replaced at some point, the date code is just a coincidence. They don't quite have the ratings of 6L6GC's which are called for in that amp. GC's have plate dissipation of 30 watts, the WBG's I think are something like 23 watts. Also, the WGB's have somewhat lower maximum plate and screen grid voltage ratings than the GC's. They MIGHT be OK, but that amp pushes the output tubes pretty hard. They could fail and take some other components with them with some expensive repairs. If it were my amp, I'd replace them with a new set of 6L6GC's. I've seen matched pairs for under $40.

3. +1 Good 2 know what U got in there.....espesh. if U R rely ing on it 4 gigs etc......

4. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm also going to PM this to you, but if your going to be a decent member of any internet forum, stop using the shorthand. Type in full words, using the best grammar and spelling you can. It doesnt take all that much more time, and really enhnaces the forum experience for you and for everyone else.

Thanks.

5. The brown bases are weird, but the bottle/guts looks like some GE 6L6GC's and 7027's I have, so I'd say they are geniune GE and not rebrands. Sylvania would have been stock for that amp. I don't get gerryjazzman's comments about a B15N being hard on output tubes though. It's not and yours should be just fine.

6L6WGB

With a max of 26 watts per bottle, a B15's roughly 450 volt B+ and 35 watt output is right in line with a 5881/6L6WGB's ratings. The max plate voltage rating is conservative. I've seen many 6L6WGB/5881's take over 500 volts and be fine.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I actually enjoy Rods unique posting style and input.

But since were in this mode, you could consider filling out your Talk Bass profile and working a little harder on your spelling ...;)

7. Thanks Anderbass!!!!!
    I DO try to be a "decent member of the Forum" ;-) Most people seem 2 understand my posts & often thank me for 'em.
    Matter closed -for me anyway!!! Nothing worse than long drawn out.................................................................!