1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about this 1964 Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barbaric.Eric, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Hey TBer's,
    I found this ad on the local classifieds near Toronto. I thought I'd share some photos because I'm a huge Ampeg fan but I've never seen anything like this before!

Does anyone know about this amp? Anyone ever played one? Care to share some details? The ad claims that it is an all original too.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG
    Cheers,
    Eric

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It appears to be an Ampeg Reverbojet, J12R. It's a guitar amp with reverb and tremolo. Ampeg started using the CTS speakers around 64. A bit odd looking but a nice amp. It has a simple single knob tone stack, unlike the better James tone circuit that many Ampeg amps use. You have to wonder why they took that route.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  3. Interesting! Thanks for the info! I just noticed now that there's an accordion input jack haha

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Early Ampegs had accordion inputs. They were big at the time, especially in bands that played eastern european music. Dance bands often had an accordion player. You needed it to play polka.

Follow the wiki link at the top of the page to the TB Portaflex Wiki, literature section. There are some early Ampeg brochures there that you might enjoy taking a look at.

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    This is from the "golden glo" series which according the ampeg book would be 67-68.

Not sure why they went wth a simple tone control on the guitar amps but my R12R has one too. They're fairly bright to begin with so I can't see much need for boosting treble.

6. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    what is different about an accordion input ?...

7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Interesting. It does have that later 60's look. The level meter is not something that would not have been done in the earlier revisions.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The early Ampeg amps had a host of different inputs, instrument, mic, accordion, stereo -one into each channel so you could balance pickups. Some accordions had stereo (two) pickups for bass and treble.

The difference with an accordion input is a different input impedance that provided a higher fidelity, wider bandwidth, that would match better with an accordion pickup. There is a 47K grid stopper resistor at the input of the first stage tube. You can see it near the jack on the schematic. That resistor, combined with the capacitance of the tube form a high pass filter. The 47K resistor vs the 100K on the instrument input, sets a wider bandwidth. There are tradeoffs in selecting the bandwidth.

edencab likes this.