Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tell me about this bass!(fender guys?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thepostagexera, Oct 16, 2003.

1. I found this bass for less than 800(with hardcase) from an online dealer, but i know nothing about this model, and have no means of playing one! could you guys tell me everything possible about this bass, and if it is a good deal or not. Im especially interested in how that humbucker sounds. thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It has a slab body, which some people find uncomfortable.

It has a chunky neck like a P bass.

As far as the tone from the humbucker, well, let's just say that most people refer to that pickup as a 'mudbucker'. That's the only pickup I am aware of that is even muddier sounding than the Gibson EB neck pickup.

If you want big bottom, this girl's got 'em, but it is too muddy for most people. Of course, the added P pickup might help some.

Is the bass worth $800? I dunno, maybe a vintage Fender person could tell you. I can tell you, that since the bass has been modified, if you resell it, it will not bring as much as a stock example.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    In '68 and '69, the Telecaster bass started out as a 51 reissue. Then in 1970 Fender changed it slightly by getting rid of the small single coil pickup and putting a huge chrome humbucker right up by the neck, they chenged the pickguard too.

That '76 Tele-bass will have a pretty heavy ash body. And someone modified it by routing the body and adding in that P pickup near the bridge, and they also added what looks to be a toggle switch on the pickguard for the pickups. I've seen these Teles go for about 1k lately, but I don't know how much those mods are going to affect the resale $$ of this one.
    I've played them before, but bone-stock ones only, and yes, with that humbucker they're pretty blubbery sounding. I don't know what that one with the added pickup is going to sound like.

4. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    That looks like an original P-bass circa 1951. The original P-basses were really a Telecaster converted to a single pickup 34" scale bass. Bu this has 2 pickups. I've played an exact remake of one made by the Fender custom shop (about $6000!) at a music store whose owners I know quite well.

Today there are new P-basses built like this old model but they are nothing like the old one. Sting, for example, has a very nice old P-bass remodel with a wonderfully thin neck. When I finally got to play the old style remake--boy, what a difference!!! Oh, that old neck was blocky and cumbersome!! Surprisingly, though, I had no trouble playing it but slapping and popping was a little difficult.

If this is a '76--never knew Fender made anything like this is '76 unless someone customed the hell out of it--all I can say is that I bought a standard P-bass in '77 (still have it, still use it) brand new for $500.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The bass that thepostagexera posted an attachment of is the 2nd generation Telecaster bass which was marketed from 1972 - 1979. It had the mudbucker mounted right at the end of the neck. Somebody obviously installed the P bass pickup sometime down the road.

Here is a decent page about Fender bass history.

http://www.vintage-bass.com/Informations/Fender_Basses/fender_basses.html

6. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I don't think I'd pay $800 for it unless its starting to get rare and in demand or something.