Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about this Damageplan I've been hearing about

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Has anybody heard this one yet? Tell me about it so I can make an informed purchase (my browser won't work on their site to hear music, and I am anti-file sharing). Let me know your opinions on it, and while you're at it, your opinions on the bass player dude.

2. I have the cd. Pretty good. Just don't expect another Pantera because that's impossible. Although Dimebag's solos aren't as good as they were with pantera and without Rex Brown following some licks it's not the same. But other then that they sound pretty cool even though some people have rated them at "nu-metal", which I disagree. Good CD though

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    extremely STANDARD metal. It has it's moments, but I find it boring. :meh:

4. JustSoYouKnow

JustSoYouKnow

Aug 30, 2002
    i would buy it but just dont think about dime and vinnie being in the band because you will just compare them to pantera and the album will sound bad

im not so keen on the singers voice but it could be worse

anyway i think it is a good album to buy :)

5. I've listened to it about one and a half times so far, and I like it. Breathing new Life sent chills up my spine when I heard Vinnie's awesome triplets on the kicks.

I think some of it will have to grow on me, but it definetly has it's moments.

6. alternative press gave it a 2/5, saying its bland and brings nothing new to the table (like blisshead said)

7. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    I've only heard what was on the website and what i heard was uninspired bland nu-metal with grunge and old school metal influences. Someone was talking about just imagining the band without dime and vinnie so you don't have those high expectations.... I say imagine this band without dime and vinnie, and see if there's any other reason this band is worth a listen. I think not.

8. Wow! I can't believe how negitive everyone is about this. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. There is some really good guitar and drums on the record. The bass and Vox aren't bad either. I like it.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's just it...the comparison to Pantera will always be there but I think as musicians we have to listen to it for what it is...and in my opinion it's awesome. Bob is pretty much an unknown guy. Tatoo artist who came to Dallas from California and started doing ink. Dime and Vinnie met up with him and it kinda started rolling from there. I really like the album and actually like listening to the Drums/Bass more than I did with Pantera. Bob's got a crushing bass tone that really makes it heavy.

10. Yeah, I agree. I thought Rex was really buried on at least a few of their records. The mix now sounds much better. Sounds like Dime has changed his tone too.

This album rules