Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about Thumb basses..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Warwick 5 string thumbs - are they specifically designed for slap bass?

If so, how do they rate for a normal bassline in a ballad or rock playing rather than being used for slap bass all the time....please leave your humble opinions...

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    nah, they aren't built exclusively for slapping....matter of fact, the through neck thumbs have a better fingerstyle tone than a slap tone, imo...i used to have a thumb neck through 4 string, and it sounded awesome...i miss the heck out of it. if i get another, it will be an older 6'er, though. the bolt on thumbs, though built a little shoddier, have a pretty mean slap tone. they sound pretty good fingerstyle, too. ;) make sure you play a thumb before you buy it. nowadays, you'll find that you can play four or five, and they all sound different. just a matter of taste. good luck!

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    had a 98 NT5 for a little more than 3 years.

great tone everywhere, no matter what. no other bass sounds like a thumb, only the SSII and Dolphin come close.
    spacing is tight, so you're gonna need to shed to get your technique together.
    get an older one with the wenge neck and brass nut.
    balance is AWFUL, and that tiny horn puts 1st position VERY far away for a little guy like me - that's why i sold it and got the SSII, which is IMO a much nicer bass. more versatile tone (can go from near vintage P, to jaco-J, to full out warwick growl, and has more low end) better balance - and everything else (playability, feel, etc) is the same ;)

an awesome bass though. just make sure you play it for about an hour with a strap on before you buy it.

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I've had my Thumb Bolt-On 5 for about two years now and love it death. It doesn't have a wide range of usable tones, the bass sounds like a good Jazz no matter how you fiddle with the knobs. Of course, I'm a Jazz Bass fan so this suits me fine. Clarity and definition are amazing on the low B, coming through my Workingman's 12 amp. No 15" speaker is required for booty. You can hear every note you play in detail. Killer tone for fingerstyle or slapping. No vintage sounds available like you have on a Lakland 55-94 but a Thumb BO is a lot cheaper and still sounds great. If you do want some old school tone, slap some Thomastik Infeld flats on a Precision and go, go, go.