Tell me about TI jazz rounds - vs other super light gauge sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AndyPanda, Jun 18, 2020.

1. I've been playing TI Jazz Flats for a couple of years now and really love them. I don't find them to be floppy at all so I'm always surprised by the posts on TB where people find them to be wet noodles.

I'm very curious to try the Jazz Rounds from several threads I've seen with people posting their love for them. But the price :eek: The Jazz Flats turn up on Amazon for $38 sometimes and that's when I buy them - and besides the Jazz Flats last forever. But the Jazz Rounds always seem to be much, much higher in price.

Anyway hoping you guys can answer a few questions for me.
    Do the Jazz Rounds last forever like the Jazz Flats do?

What about the B string? Anyone using a 5 string set of Jazz Rounds? (I have a 130 on my fiver and it feels pretty floppy to me)

What about some of the other brands that make super light gauge sets like 40-95 four string sets or 40-120 five string sets? EB or DR or GHS or? Any of those really light sets come close to TI rounds? ($20 set vs $90)

TI Jazz Rounds vs TI Super Alloy? The SA are much less expensive - I wonder why?

2. uwrossl

uwrossl Blues/Soul/Rock N Roll Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Jazz Rounds but will soon. They seem to be gaining a lot of popularity. I love the flats and agree that they weren't anywhere near as loose as people had made them out to be. No affiliation but I've pointed a few others to Strings and Beyond and the code THI10 for 10% discount on any of their TI sets. Brings the rounds to around $65(four string set) and I've never had to pay tax or shipping on anything I've ordered from there. Best price I've found on the rounds. For the TI flats I pick them up like most when they are cheap on Amazon.

Edit...I've used the SA set and the Power Bass set. Both are good strings but I didn't find anything overly special about the SA's. The Power Bass set is cool and has an extremely thick low end, even mids and subdued top end. They'll punch you in the chest a bit for a round.

EatS1stBassist, Vinny_G and AndyPanda like this.
  3. I had looked at the Strings and Beyond site yesterday (and again today) but they only have 4 string sets for Jazz Rounds - they don't list the 5 string set at all

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i like the TI jazz rounds for several reasons:
    - not stiff
    - smooth feeling
    - last a long time (compared to say roto 66s)
    - dependable 'tone'
    - short break-in

i used light gauge roto 66 sets (35-90) for years until i discovered (via TB) the jazz rounds. i have them on all of my instruments, currently. (fretless)

i also look for price deals (amazon, elsewhere) but i'd pay the list price to have them. the cheapest i've purchased was a couple of sets for $53/set.

i put new sets on my gigging axes, but i've used worn sets when i'm putting together a parts bass = little difference!

EatS1stBassist, Marhmol and AndyPanda like this.
  5. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Hope this video helps.

staurosjohn, starKee, jhfishn and 2 others like this.
  6. Yeah I watched the video the other day. It's a fun video to watch and to watch his technique -- but it really isn't helpful at all for comparing strings. If he had just played the same bass line (a simple one) on the same instrument for each of the different strings and without going thru pedals and doing all the bass gymnastics on exotic basses ... that would have told me a lot more about the differences between the strings.

WesW, Root 5, Kevin Teed and 6 others like this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I agree.

Root 5 and AndyPanda like this.
  8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    My curiosity about the TI Jazz Rounds got the best of me yesterday, and I have a set en route :thumbsup: Will report back!

9. Can't wait to hear your experience with them. 4 string or 5 string?

10. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Good point.

AndyPanda likes this.
  11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    4 string and I’ll prob sample them on a Jazz first then an ash P bass.

TN WOODMAN and AndyPanda like this.
  12. Marhmol

Marhmol

Nov 6, 2016
    Bay Area Ca
    Howdy, I've gone down the rabbit hole twice in the last couple decades and absolutely love the jazz rounds.
    The feel the provide is something special for me.
    Sunbeams and the Dunlop Marcus Miller are my go to on the others. Four of my basses have TI strings and I couldn't be happier. (well, maybe if I could slap to save my life)
    imo and .02c

Huw Phillips, e-flat and AndyPanda like this.
  13. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Flexible, not as bright as traditional hex core SS strings. Can grind with the best of them if action is set low and you dig in. I have used them off and on. Probably worth a try. If you don't like them and don't cut them short, you can sell them on the TB classifieds (less a rental fee) quicker that many used strings.

14. Marhmol

Marhmol

Nov 6, 2016
    Bay Area Ca
    I agree, mine went on my only through body jazz. Now they stay there.

AndyPanda likes this.
  15. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    THIS. I bought a used set this way to try and they are nice strings. I would liken them to a REALLY GOOD nickel string. I like Cocco nickels and the IT rounds remind me of those alot. I will buy more to use on other basses as the need / want arises

AndyPanda likes this.
  16. 5-string sets are out there (JR345). I even ordered a single B string yesterday for the purpose of tuning my 4-string G&L Kiloton BEAD. The B-string alone cost as much as a normal set of strings, but I really like these strings, and the lighter gauge will hopefully reduce the amount of modification necessary.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm guessing they aren't wrapped like the flats.. or am I wrong?

18. The part number you listed is for the Jazz Flats. The Jazz Round five string set would be JR345. I know they are out there ... but they are not listed at the specific website that was posted with a discount code earlier in this thread.

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  19. You are correct. I was typing too quickly. But I am indeed referring to the emerald-silked wonders. I will edit my post.

AndyPanda likes this.
  20. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I want to try the TI rounds ... Love the flats. I'm using Dunlop Super Bright nickels for my roundwounds now, because they are flexible and have great mids, which are my favorite two things about TI flats. I'll try the TI rounds sometime soon though ... Curiosity is rising all the time and is becoming nearly insurmountable lol.

e-flat, Vinny_G and AndyPanda like this.