Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about whammy pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 5, 2005.

1. I did a search but found nothing specifically about how a whammy pedals works/what you can do with it. The reason I need to know is because I may be joining a death metal band, one guitarist tunes CGCFAD(or something like that) and the other guy is tuned GCGCFAD on a 7 stringer. They want me to use my warwick(previous bassist used warwick and they want the same kinda tone), so I'm either gonna have to tune down to CGCF OR could I use a whammy pedal?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Tune down

3. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    You can't use the whammy as a pitch shifter in that whay... your bass will sound like a synth... a thin synth sound...
    Plus, after you've plaied a note, the sound will come oute with a little delay...

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah, the note will be delayed it might not be a true note as such like your bass is, there will most definately be some tracking issues with playing at speed.

Mainly it won't sound that good.

Some people have used the whammy in the way you want but for like 1 song where they don't want the hassel of tuning down, you won't have that problem you will need your bass tuned like that all the time.

Personally I wouldn't both :rollno:

5. Ok.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I used to try this for one song where I wanted to tune down to take advantage of open strings.
    It worked *ok*, but not great. As folks said, it thins out the sound a bit, plus they generally have a slight delay so you have to play slightly ahead of the beat to still be on it.

7. I'd find that impossible. If there's something else playing I have to play along with it, I can't play ahead of it.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I didnt find a delay with my whammy. Maybe i didnt listen carefully enough.

9. Me niether.
    Here are examples of my use of a whammy:
    Dig
    Freak On A Leash
    Walk

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can get used to it over time. There are similar issues with Guitar - MIDI conversion too, and you have to apply the same concepts there also when playing on the lower strings which have a longer conversion time.

11. is this 'delay' also known as latency?
    it happens with (I think) all pitch shifters, no?

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IME, yes.
    Although it's interesting the whammy users have said they didn't hear it, I've never used a whammy so can't comment on that.
    But the unit with the best real time pitch shifting I heard was the digitech bp-8 - it still colored the sound but the latency was the smallest.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Doesn't that mean you even need to tune down to G? Yep, bands with low tunings really suck when all you've played before is a four string in standard tuning. I'm speaking from experience.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Tune down to CGCF, Get a fairly heavy 4-string set (105, 90, etc.) discard the E string, and get a .120 or .128 B. You'll need to adjust the action or your bass.

I've tuned an E (.105) to a C.. You can do it, but it's like playing spaghetti... The other's aren't so bad.

I don't think you'd need to grop to GCGC or some other odd tuning, 'cause the 7-string is likely playing Baritone Role.

Think of a 3-part men's vocal ensemble. You've got a Tenor (the 6-string at CGCFAD), your Baritone (7-stringer at GCGCFAD), and you as the bass. The open G will be at the same pitch as the 7-string, but the tonality will be much different.

Actually, it would probably sound pretty cool...

15. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Really?
    I finde a BIG latency.
    I'm using a Whammy XP-100... maybe yours is a Bass Whammy?
    Anyway... does anyone know a trick to avoid the latency on the whammy? Dunno, some modification on the circuitry...
    And for the bad pitching?
    Okok... maybe I'm asking for a magician, but...

16. if your seven stringer's playing in G as his bottum note, i personally would wantt o match that because eventually there's going to be some trouble with him covering low end you should be doing. get the heaviest guage five string set you can find and a tech who's willing to go for that, lol

17. Sorry....Whammy XP-100 is a piece of junk......why do you think they are way cheaper than the real one (the WH-1 or WH-4)?
    I've been using the BNX3 for over 2 years now & trust me....I play the songs I use it on just the same as if I had another bass tuned properly......it doesn't lag.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The real important question, does the WH-4 lag too?

19. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive had mine for 2 monthes or so and i dont notice any delay on my whammy 4 reissue. Im pretty wierd about that so if it does it at all i think i would of noticed it by now. I remeber hearing that the whammy 4 had a pretty low frequency range, maybe 20 hz i think. It wouldnt do what nickthebassist wants it to do though, it does sound synthy. It does track pretty well but its got its inherant problems, just detune. Its just a trick not and end all.

20. the WH-4 has a lot of lag, detunes and harmonies are completely out of tune, and it has a very thin sound... that being said it's one of the most fun pedals ever... now if only someone would make on that worked (and dont tell me to get the original...)