Tell me about your Carvin Bunny Brunel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    And show pics!

I have recently bought and sold a bunch of basses, and I'm thinking of selling even more, because the ones I'm playing are too heavy and have too much neck dive. For a short time, I had a Carvin LB-76 that was under 10 lbs. Should have kept it, but I was playing some boutique basses at the time, and really liking them. Now my shoulder is complaining.

The BB has that nice, long upper horn, so I figure neck dive isn't much of a problem, right?

I already know that I like the big MM-style Carvin humbuckers; if I ordered a new bass, I would get two of those plus the piezo bridge. I would probably go for alder wings and a solid color.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Edit:
    Dang I didn't even mention the Bunny I used to have, which was the whole reason for this thread:)
    I had one for a while, it was fretless. I probably would have kept it if it was fretted. Great bass, probably the best design Carvin has. Definitely get dual humbuckers or soapbars if you get one. I mention my Brute below because like you, I wanted a 34" 5 string with dual buckers and perfect balance. I had to mod it for the neck humbucker though.

Check into a Brubaker Brute as well. They come in under 10 pounds and are perfectly balanced as well. Plus they cost a good bit less than Carvin. They are not USA made though and you can't choose your woods. Great basses though, here's mine:

[​IMG]

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Start playing with the Carvin guitar builder.... it will be just a matter of time before you complete the order.

My LB76 is finished on friday, then I wait for it to get shipped here. I really hope I like it, have never even played a Carvin.

I hear great thing about the Bunny sig, would definitely consider it if I was getting a fretless, with the hard as nails coating of course. I hear there is zero neck dive with the long horn, the Bromberg has a long horn too.

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I had a BB70PF for a few years, I got rid of it because I perfer 6 strings basses and that one was a 4 strings.

Nice bass and very light I had the alder body and maple neck, fretless with line with piezo bridge in pearl white ( now discontinued ). The balance was really great since the body is wide and the upper horn extend to the 12 or 11th fret.

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I have a very nice BB75 that i am actually considering selling to help fund a Bromberg. It would be last resort though. It has the soapbar hums, which is my preference, ash body and birds eye tung oiled neck. It is a really, really nice bass :)

Fretboard closeup -

bb75Neck1.jpg

Full body with my Chronos 5

DSCF8844.jpg

6. Okay, I'll tell you about it.

It's the best investment I've made in bass next to the money I spend on lessons and clinics. It's perfectly balanced, playable and it's blue.

Once I put Circle K strings on it, it went to an even higher level.

Everything I have to say about this bass is hyperbole to anyone who has never played a BB76. I've I told you everything I feel about this bass, it would make you sick. I have to refrain, daily, from postng about it.

I transitioned from a SB4000 immediately, and was gigging it within a month. I sold the SB4000 recently, and it was a gorgeous, well-crafted instrument. I don't miss it much- it gathered a lot of dust after I got the BB76.

The fret job is superb, with no fret noise at all. The electronics, with the mid-seewp, are incredibly verstile and responsive. I never have to touch my amp (Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12) unless I want to add some dirt.

I consider this a severely under-rated, underappreciated and under sold model.

And the more I look at it, the more I like it. I do think it's good!

7. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    I ordered my BB75 in 1996, Ive beem playing it for 16 years and wont part with it.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    swspiers, how heavy is your Bunny 6?

9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I have one of the first ones, a BB75F fretless, maple with koa wings and an ebony fingerboard; satin finish. I ordered it in 1991 (I think?), about a week after they started advertising them. I got it in about 8 weeks, and I was told that mine was the tenth one made. I paid about $950 for it.

It's a beautiful bass. For that class of bass (long scale, neck-through, 5-string) the ergonomics and overall playing comfort are just about perfect. If I was out gigging 5 nights a week, playing all kinds of different music, the Carvin BB would be a top choice as an all-purpose working bass.

The construction is typical Carvin: Very well made for the price. The sound is also typical Carvin: Nothing really unique or distinctive, just clean and adjustable over a wide range of useful sounds.

Sadly, my BB75F has been mostly sitting in its case for the last 18 years. I occasionally loan it to friends, but I don't ever intend to sell it. I have three other Carvins in my collection, all fine instruments. But the BB75F is the best of them. I'm really surprised that Carvin didn't adopt the BB shape as their standard bass model.

10. About 9.5 pounds. A hair lighter than the SB was.

11. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I wanted to revive this thread...I know there have to be others of us out there! I'll restart it with some great pictures of mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently replaced the bridge with an ABM brass one that is black and Bill Lawrence pickups for extra range...as I received this fall of last year in a trade and it's a 15 year old bass that's been cased it's whole life.

12. Gorgeous bass. I've got my feelers out for a fretless 5 in the near future.

I just re-strung my BB76 with Thomastik Jazz Flats, and the growl I get from the bass is very satisfying.

Great basses!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021