Tell me about your college music scene

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Vancouver doesn't have a visible college radio scene. We have one station on the air (UBC), perhaps my own alma mater (Simon Fraser University) is on the public airwaves now (after too many years of promising).

When I read about bands that get hot on the college music scene, I can't visualize this. College music is probably bigger in the States than here.

Anyone want to tell me about their college music scene?
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    On Campus,

There are a disgustingly large number of acapella groups (as I'm sure there are at many colleges). So many as to invoke my eternal dislike for the entire genre.

There are also a lot of the singer/songwriter sorts that prowl about with their acoustic guitars looking for vulnerable groups of girls.

There are also a lot of indie-ish retro bands: New Wave bands, Wuss-rock, garagey folky bands etc.

College Radio is really big. There are a ton of wannabe record geeks. Most of them drop out when they find out they'll be required to sit-in on the station's pledge drive. Others drop out of discouragement. Those that stick around are usually the indie rock hipsters, the electroclash neo-punkers, and electronica-philes. There are also the occasional odd-ball shows like Lounge fans etc. Some popular college radio bands: Decemberists, Erase Errata, The Locust, Ted Leo, Elliot Smith (for a bit), Pretty Girls Make Graves and Anna Oxygen