Tell me about your GK cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groov'ster, Aug 16, 2005.

1. I am looking to upgrade my rig and have decided on a GK1001RB II.
    While I like the sound of the head I was not able to play through a GK 410RBH cab to see how they sound. Give me your likes / dis-likes about this cab. You can also give me recomendations on other cabs to pair the head up with.
    I play a Cirrus 6 string with Pro-steels in a church setting. Main styles are gospel - black gospel, contemporary christian. May possibly add a Avalon U5 later on.

Thanks in advance.
  2. :bag: Hello!?!?!?! Am I here all alone?
  3. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I have a 210RBH and a 410RBH. I like the sound I get from them very much. I pair the 410 with an Eden 115XLT for my favorite live rig.

The GK drawback for me is that on "Full-Range" (they have a switch on the back) my SVT-4 is murder on the tweeters. I have to turn them off so they won't blow.

You won't have a tweeter problem 'cause you have a GK bi-amp head. Just switch the switch to bi-amp mode and use the proper speaker cable.
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'll help you out. I have the itsy bitsey GK Neo112. It has good midrange and nice bottom, pretty balanced overall and nice and light. I've heard good things about the GK Neo212. I have the GK1001Rb-II as well.
    I think the GK cabs overall perform pretty admirably, although my Bergantinos are what I use for most gigs except when I need a combo size rig.
    The bi-amp feature on the GK cabs is nifty and handy. But it's not the best reason to get a GK cab IMHO. (I like the idea of a Dr Bass cab with the speakon connector wired for the GK biamp feature. Great bang for the buck. GK is going to run you more $$)
  5. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Another vote for the Neo 112 -- fantastic little (lightweight) cab. Like Tonenazi, I also use the 1001RB-II with my Bergantino cabinets (usually just a single 115, or 210) with great results. On my most recent gigs, which consist of an acoustic guitar/vocalist, drums and myself, I've been using the GK with a compressor (Presonus Eureka) run through the effects loop, into the Berg HT-210, with my 4-string run passively. Great no-BS tone, run virtually flat.
  6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I get a low, smooth tone from my SBX series cabs (115 & 210), which I have paired up with a 700RB-II.

If you decide to go that route make sure to get the SBX-II series with the higher power rating.
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I love my NEO212. The biamp feature RAWKS!!!! I sold my last amp because I hated the unvariable tweeter. It was always on at full blast. The only thing I could do that helped was to turn down the treble but that's unacceptable. I have complete control of my tweeter with the GK biamp system.

I have never heard the cab distort once (and believe me I've tried). It's capable of some doodoo shaking low end. :D
  8. The 410RBH is a great punchy cab. If you're playing rock or just need a powerful sound, it'll work well with you.
  9. I can imagine that a GK head would probably sound better with a GK cab, but there are none around for me to try. After a couple of you mentioned the Neo112/212 my interest is once again sparked by 12's. I may have to consider one of those.
    My rig is used as a stage monitor 80% of the time where my signal is ran to the house mains. But the other 20% is outside gigs.
  10. DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I have the SBX410 cab and I'm running a BBE bmax pre into a Carvin DCM 1000 into the cab and I like it a lot. Very clear, punchy cab - and small in size - easy to transport.