Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about your GK cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groov'ster, Aug 16, 2005.


  1. I am looking to upgrade my rig and have decided on a GK1001RB II.
    While I like the sound of the head I was not able to play through a GK 410RBH cab to see how they sound. Give me your likes / dis-likes about this cab. You can also give me recomendations on other cabs to pair the head up with.
    I play a Cirrus 6 string with Pro-steels in a church setting. Main styles are gospel - black gospel, contemporary christian. May possibly add a Avalon U5 later on.

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. :bag: Hello!?!?!?! Am I here all alone?
     
  3. Mickey Shane

    Mickey Shane what goes here?

    Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I have a 210RBH and a 410RBH. I like the sound I get from them very much. I pair the 410 with an Eden 115XLT for my favorite live rig.

    The GK drawback for me is that on "Full-Range" (they have a switch on the back) my SVT-4 is murder on the tweeters. I have to turn them off so they won't blow.

    You won't have a tweeter problem 'cause you have a GK bi-amp head. Just switch the switch to bi-amp mode and use the proper speaker cable.
     
  4. Doug Parent

    Doug Parent Supporting Member

    May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'll help you out. I have the itsy bitsey GK Neo112. It has good midrange and nice bottom, pretty balanced overall and nice and light. I've heard good things about the GK Neo212. I have the GK1001Rb-II as well.
    I think the GK cabs overall perform pretty admirably, although my Bergantinos are what I use for most gigs except when I need a combo size rig.
    The bi-amp feature on the GK cabs is nifty and handy. But it's not the best reason to get a GK cab IMHO. (I like the idea of a Dr Bass cab with the speakon connector wired for the GK biamp feature. Great bang for the buck. GK is going to run you more $$)
     
  5. Aram

    Aram

    Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Another vote for the Neo 112 -- fantastic little (lightweight) cab. Like Tonenazi, I also use the 1001RB-II with my Bergantino cabinets (usually just a single 115, or 210) with great results. On my most recent gigs, which consist of an acoustic guitar/vocalist, drums and myself, I've been using the GK with a compressor (Presonus Eureka) run through the effects loop, into the Berg HT-210, with my 4-string run passively. Great no-BS tone, run virtually flat.
     
  6. Dirty Dave

    Dirty Dave

    Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I get a low, smooth tone from my SBX series cabs (115 & 210), which I have paired up with a 700RB-II.

    If you decide to go that route make sure to get the SBX-II series with the higher power rating.
     
  7. Squidfinger

    Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

    Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I love my NEO212. The biamp feature RAWKS!!!! I sold my last amp because I hated the unvariable tweeter. It was always on at full blast. The only thing I could do that helped was to turn down the treble but that's unacceptable. I have complete control of my tweeter with the GK biamp system.


    I have never heard the cab distort once (and believe me I've tried). It's capable of some doodoo shaking low end. :D
     
  8. The 410RBH is a great punchy cab. If you're playing rock or just need a powerful sound, it'll work well with you.
     
  9. I can imagine that a GK head would probably sound better with a GK cab, but there are none around for me to try. After a couple of you mentioned the Neo112/212 my interest is once again sparked by 12's. I may have to consider one of those.
    My rig is used as a stage monitor 80% of the time where my signal is ran to the house mains. But the other 20% is outside gigs.
     
  10. DanBuck

    DanBuck

    May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I have the SBX410 cab and I'm running a BBE bmax pre into a Carvin DCM 1000 into the cab and I like it a lot. Very clear, punchy cab - and small in size - easy to transport.