Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me about your Gramma...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rok51, May 13, 2004.

1. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    How durable are they for gigging/travelling? Does the loss of room coupling negatively affect the low end? How much difference is there using one outdoors? In short, let me have it...Likes and dislikes. I've been Jones-in' for one but have had my doubts.

Kim

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use mine between the cabs and amp. I had a piece of paper on top of my cab when I was at home and my amp was on another cab. I noticed that the paper was all over the place and vibrating. I put on the gramma and the paper laid still. All that vibration cant be good for the amp, so thats how I use mine. My cabs have casters on so I havent needed to use it that way.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Unless you play on extremely boomy stages and such, you probably won't need it. I've tried doing cross comparisons, and the vast majority of the time I can't tell the difference between Gramma and no Gramma. My friend uses mine for guitar at times and I do notice a difference; he uses a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Mesa Single Rectifier, and Avatar closed back 4x12... a very muddy combination. However, as inazone mentioned, it's VERY useful between cab and amp. That's where it usually is if I'm not using it on the floor.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My Gramma makes the best cornbread you have ever tasted! MMM,mmm!

5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    LMAO!!!!!!
    Truthfully though, I love the thing. I noticed a difference from the first time I used it. Whether it has an effect in every situation, I'll probably never know, since I will always be using it for my rig's platform. They do make a real nice carry bag for it as an option, however it costs more than the pad itself.

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have been wondering about these as well. I wondered if it would help or hinder the walkabout scout combo. I notice a big difference in the scout if its on a carpeted floor compared to say a vinyl floor. A friend of mine who is knowledgeable about sound recommended that I get some type of laminated board to put the scout on so that I would have consistency with the downward firing radiator. What do you guys think?

7. I pretty much started the hoorah on the Gramma (maybe not?) but there are lots of posts so do a search on Gramma....
    Both mine are great. They make a big difference and I'm half deaf.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It makes quite a noticeable difference on raised wooden stages. Less of a difference on carpet, concrete, etc. I use mine between cab and amp with my Bergantino HT322 (which has casters) and under all my other Bergie cabs.

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Mine has saved my bacon on quite a few box stages, and it has never made anything sound worse. I think that the coupling-boomy thing is something to avoid. IME, it doesn't make anything sound better in the house, and on stage it just makes guitar players turn up more!

10. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I just picked up one today along with a set of Auralex MoPads. I'm having a terrible time with vibrations in my rack, particularly my new PLX 1202. Man does it rattle on certain frequencies. I'm gonna see which works better (Gramma VS. MoPads) between the cabs (GS112 x 2) and the Rack.