1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell me about your inexpensive P/J 5 string please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarTONEbass, Aug 16, 2012.

1. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I have been considering either building or buying a P/J 5'er. Not looking to break the bank, and I don't mind modding existing basses (pickups, pre, bridge) if they are worthy. I have seen some really nice examples in the $300-$600 range (and even below) that look interesting.

Anyone have a P/J 5 they can recommend in the sub $600-$700 range? I prefer to buy used. I like maple fretboards and 35" scale and I like active 3-band preamps, but those are negotiable.

Thanks for your help!

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Yamaha BB415

Picked mine up for around three bills. Great bass!

3. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  4. MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I was thinking Yamaha might be a good choice. How is the B string? Is it heavy?

I had seen that one as well. 35" scale is tempting. Let us know how you like it!

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The model is under the pic, and you even quoted it

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I sure will. I won't have it for at least a couple of weeks.

7. SolarGranola

SolarGranola

May 22, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    The Shecter Diamond P 5 is amazing! :hyper: I've had mine for about a year now and I love the thing. The feel of this bass is something I've never come across before. The action was great out of the box, the strings are nice and stiff and the spacing is nice and wide. It's so frakkin' comfy. :bassist:

I kept trying to replace the thing but every time I looked at other basses I just realized more and more how comfortable the diamond p is.

There are a couple of downsides though. This bass is pretty dang heavy. I find my shoulder hurting after only an hour or so of play. Also, the split coil pickup is really close to the strings even after I lowered it as low as it would go. Initially I was really not digging the sound this thing was putting through my amp but I eventually figured out the controls and get a nice growly tone (and a nice more mellow tone when I switch the split to single coil via the push pull tone knob thangy).

So I vote this one.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    How much does yours weigh?

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    IF you consider modding. This is my Squier PJ 5er. It started life as a used Squier special P 5 string (which for reasons I don't understand comes with two jazz pickups both of which stink)

Bridge pickup was changed to Demarzio Ultra J (almost fits perfectly) and the neck was changed to a NOS actual MIA Fender P-bass 5 string pickup. It's still passive, but has an added push-pull on volume for series/parallel on the P pickup.

New pickguard and a quick fret leveling (bridge came with bass) and voila!

You'd have to add 3-band pre to taste.

[​IMG]

10. MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    This could steer me away from this bass also.

I had actually considered doing that to that model Squier. I haven't seen many in 3TS, nice! Did you do the routing yourself? Who made the pickguard? It looks great!

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm selling a great one. Yamaha attitude standard with circle k strings and a fender USA pickup. Plays amazing, tone is less natural and deep than the sadowsky NYC pj5 I had, but this bass is $400! Sounds great for Jason Aldean covers.

12. MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Anyone else? Anyone try the Godin?

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I just sold one. It was a nice bass. I didn't like the look of it but it had a good tone and the construction was solid, especially for the cash.

14. MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    how was the B string?

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I did the routing myself. Happily the big rout for the P-pickups is under pickguard where you can't see how ratty looking it is! I sawed a template out and used a cutter with a ball bearing follower but hanging on to the router is a bit wilder than you think! And then the router base plate came loose and... But happily pickguard covers it all. It's not really ALL that bad under there!

The "route" for the Demarzio, on the other hand was easy. They are just a tiny bit longer than the original route so I just used a tiny sanding drum on a Dremel tool to elongate the original route just enough.

Pickguard was made by Tony at Pickguardian.com. I sort of set up the bass and covered the bottom of the original pickguard with artist's tape. I got the p pickups exactly where they belong under the strings and then drew around them on the pickguard. I gave the whole thing (including pickups...he's local) to Tony and you see the great result. He told me he also had P-bass 5er templates and he would somehow combine the info in the templates, my drawing and the original pickguard to get the final result which he certainly did! The strings look a little off in the photo but that is just the camera angle. The strings really are centered on the poles where they belong.

Oh yeah. Those are 4-40 stainless flat head socket head screws holding the pickguard on. I installed threaded inserts for them just for grins. But now I've switched the screws to 4-40 aluminum anodized black ones which I think looks better with the Tort.

I can tell you it is one killer bass! Only deal is because I used a real P-bass pickup rather than an under-wound PJ one, a nice PJ balance is with J full and P at about 80% rather than with both up full. But the advantage is that the soloed P really sounds like a p-bass. PS. This bass weighs 10 pounds 10 ounces.

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    It was actually really good. Better than other 34 inch scale basses that I've owned in that range.

17. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Wow, that's one amazing looking bass!
    There's something with the 3TS that just attracts me. And the "real" P-bass setup. It's probably cause I played a modded sunburst Precision for years it brings back good memories. Mine was a 4-string with an added string on it...

Great modification!!!

18. MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Wow, that is great information I'm sure I'll use if I go that route. Tony sounds like he's good to work with. I have never heard of threaded inserts to hold a pickguard down, but I am a fan of overengineering so well done, sir!:cool: I prefer to have the pickguard screw match the hardware, but there is something interesting about letting them blend into the 'guard itself.

I wonder if a carefully placed capacitor would't help your balance problem? I am no electronics genius, have you looked into that, or does it not bother you enough to care about it?

Unfortunately the weight of the bass would be a deal breaker for me. :meh: I wonder how widely those vary in weight from one to the other.

That is great to know because I have heard they make a decent product. Not having to do much modding out of the box is also a plus and I dig the no pickguard look also. What, aesthetically did you not like, or was it just an overall "meh" for you?

Has anyone played on of these Samick basses?

http://gregbennettguitars.com/guitars/bass/corsair/cr1-5/

19. MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA

20. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yamaha BB425