Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell Me About Your Roland GK or Other Synth Bass Setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bacid, Mar 19, 2006.

1. I want to synthesize my bass. Is the Roland Synth pickup paired with a Roland interface such as the V-Bass system or the Midi Interface superior to any other synths out there? I want to run two outputs, one through the synth and one straight into another amp can I do this with a Roland pickup? What other synths on the market are comparable/better than this setup. Thanks.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    The four most common pickups are Roland, Yamaha, RMC and Axon although there are others. All of these pickups allow you three positions: bass only or bass and midi or midi only. The RMC has the most flexibliltiy.

The Roland bass synth is more of a fixed system although the Roland pickup can be used to trigger a midi converter.

Do a search for "midi: on this forum. There are a number of threads that have information on this subject although some of it is a little outdated.

I have just order the RMC pickup and the new Axon midi converter and am awaiting delviery. I will post and share the results when I get them.

Good Luck

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, with a roland pickup you can mix and match synth/dry sounds.

The Vbass system isn't true midi, it's doing sound modelling rather than note to midi conversion (that's what takes the most time in guitar/midi setups).

As suggested, a search here and effects forum will return many useful results

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, a lot of people lump the V-Bass in with MIDI - but in fact one could use the V-Bass without ever touching a MIDI cable or synth/sampling module (though it does come in handy for sysex storage of patches). As said, the V-Bass does not suffere any pitch-to-midi conversion glitches or delay, which for many of us is a real plus ... it translates every gesture into sound just like any standard bass.