Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tell me about your warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, Mar 22, 2003.

1. its finally spring break!!~!! i live in cedar rapids iowa, and the nearest guitar center is in chicago. I herd guitar center has a bunch of warwicks. Is it worth my time/gas, to go check them out. I love jamiroquais bass, its so tight and fresh and clean, but are the basses really good or no. Please post pics and soundclips would rock. Thanks a bunch.

- w00t

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Stage I and II's, Dolphin Pro, Thumb's, and Infinity's are great basses. The others are just ok. Is it worth your while to drive and check them out? Depends which ones GC has and how much you're willing to spend.

3. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    First of all, definately go check out the Warwicks. Even is you hate them you'll have learned something about what you like and dislike.

As far as the liwer priced models go, I'd like to say that my Streamer LX is better for me in every way than the SS-1. I didn't like the SS-1's neck or feel, although I did like the EQ (i'll have to get a 3 band EQ some time). As far as slap sound goes, the LX beats the SS-1 hands down.

As far as Jamiroquai's bass player, he plays a Sreamer Stage 2 with 8 strings (octave strings) so until you order one of those bad boys you'll never get his kind of sound (OMG that's a sweet bass to play). If you want my advice, go there and don't look at names or price tags, just play the basses and see what pulls you. Pou may be pleasently surprised by the results.

4. Regardless of the brand name, sometimes you just stumble onto a bass that really suits you. In my case I lucked out and scored beautiful '90 Streamer Stage II and a little later scored an astounding '90 boire Dolphin Pro 1 from Mimi & Jon @ Bunnybass (the "Dream Bass" one :D found here [​IMG]). Early Warwicks are great by my experience, but maybe I've just been lucky.

The caveat here, and I am forced to agree, is that many Warwicks produced in the mid-'90s that I've played DO have uncomfortable necks (quote from JT - "like baseball bats"). The same goes for sound (Streamer has MEC and the Dolphin has factory barties). You really have to try them to find a good one.

Lately I've noticed what others have observed on TB, which is that many of the newer models have slimmer, nicer necks. I tried out an Infinity LTD 2000 yesterday that I can still hear calling my name. So, to make a long story short, the brand name means little in the grand scheme of things, and you can't always judge a manufacturer by playing just a few basses.

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    as most of you know, i've got a streamer stage 2 5 and a thumb fretless 6. the stage 2 is my #1 bass for the rest of my life. i've played basses that cost twice as much and can't touch it. both of them are 98's, and were as big as warwick necks get. but i started out on upright so it feels absolutely perfect for me.

and the bolt ons are quite nice as well. i've played very few warwicks that i thought didn't live up to my idea of what a warwick should be. and this includes everything from a 90 dolphin to a 2002 corvette standard 5 string.

6. I don't really agree with this. The basses the mentioned basses here are all of the thru-neck, while "the others" refers to all of the bolt-ons. While the thru-neck basses are more expensive, they're not necassarilly better. It just depends on what you prefer. A lot of people like thru-neck basses better, but I happen to prefer bolt-ons.

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    My main bass is a '96 Corvette Standard(which I've used appx. 2x a weekend for the last seven years). When I went shopping for it, I tried Warwicks(and other brands) at all different price points. This bass had the quality of tone and feel that was exactly what I was looking for. The only mod I did was to add EMG J's and a BQC pre-amp. I loved this bass so much that I got another one 3 years later(fretless-I did the same pickup/pre mod). Warwick did switch some of their neck woods in the later 90's...so be sure to get one with a wenge neck/fingerboard(THATS Warwicks not-so-secret weapon). Don't be fooled by the price, it just shows how good of a buy it is! :)

8. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Well, I can get 98% thumb-impression with my 'Vette. It's one of the old ones with wenge neck, bubinga body and brass nut, but I've played even better sounding new Corvettes (I for one don't understand the "Warwick quality has gone worse" -talk. AFAIK Wenge wasn't very expensive wood when it was widely available, and the new graphite nut design is good, though not so sexy as brass.)

9. I own a '90 Streamer Stage I 6-string. It's a great instrument, with a powerful low-B (at 34"). It's a neck-through design with Bartolini pick-ups and it has the most beautiful passive tone. It used to be my main axe for a while, until I got hold of my Bossa UJB-5. Now I mainly use it for studio chores and high-end soloing. I do plan to replace the old-fashioned active 2-band EQ though with the newer 3-band electronics.

Warwick's quality really has taken a nose-dive the last few years, especially with all those awful "mid-range" basses coming out. The high-end stuff is good, but still lacks the quality of the basses made in the late 80s and early 90s. If you can get a hold on one of those, do so. I see them on Ebay sometimes.

10. warwicks man.....wouldnt drive that far to see one or try one out...really..not practical.

11. I am in full agreement with you, Jason. There's just something inspring about a great Stage II, and it is my "main" bass also. The novelty just doesn't wear off.

Also, you're probably right about the consistency of Warwick basses. The odd ones that I didn't like may indeed have been anomalies. The new models that I tried this week were all excellent, and that included the bolt-ons.

12. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Stuart Zenders main basses were a Stage II 5 string and a couple of Stage I 5's. He did use a 8 string from time to time, but he used the 5's more often.