Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me again

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nanook, Jan 24, 2001.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Someone on the forum was talking about how there would always be a shortage of bassists. The gave several reasons but I forgot.

Anybody remember?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey...SSSHHHHHH!!!! We're a well-kept secret! Everybody seems to want the limelight (sorry to you rush fans for that pun). Let's just enjoy the fact that at any time there are 1000 guitarists looking to form a band, and we bassists can take total advantage of that!

We are at a premium!!! So, keep it hush, hush!!!:D

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...agreed, there will ALWAYS be a shortage of BASSISTS.
    There will ALWAYS be a plethora of bass players, bass owners, & bass poseurs, though.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Let's face it;

> It's an expensive proposition. We pay beaucoup for power we can't use, a.k.a., headroom. The level of "reasonably" good basses starts at a higher price point than that of guitars.

> Our rigs are often a bitch to transport.

> It is a difficult instrument to play proficiently relative to guitar, just by virtue of the string size. With guitar, all you need to do is learn C, A7, F#, and half the people think you can play. As for double basses, shoot, don't even get started on the physical demands of that instrument.

> It is not an instrument with shich most people can easily entertain themselves and others, such as piano, brass, guitar. We're more in the boat with drummers- we play our part of the song and no one knows what the hell we're playing by and large, unless it has some signature hook or beat.

> It's not something you play if you want to be in the spotlight. Ask people for the name of the Who's bassist.

> AND OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE, relative to vocalists and guitarists, we typically don't get the tail on a comparative percentage basis nor the premium grades known and admired throughout the industry. :rolleyes:

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-26-2001 at 01:11 AM]

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I once dated a girl who asked, "...who played bass in The Beatles".

6. Why was she interested about a bunch of insects??

7. rickbass

Which Beatle played a fish?!?! Was it a striped bass or a largemouth bass? I bet that goofy Ringo played it!

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    oh yeah ringo did!

9. rickbass

I could never understand how Ringo could play, like, a bass. I mean, like, eeewwww! a fish? It's like so Eeeeeeewwwww! Wouldn't you get, like, all slimy or something? Paul was cool though. He played a guitar.

10. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    here is another great hardship of being a bass player...we get laid more...at least "I" do!:D