1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tell me and show me about your favorite true neck position pickup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Feb 7, 2018.

1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    mudbucker position as close to the end of the neck as possible
    not short scale
    not ricky

other than that

go
    tell me and show me about them please

why do you like them over others?
    what do you use them for?

go

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    OK I'll play...

upload_2018-2-7_17-17-33.

In that case, we'll talk about the bass on the left, a '70 Gibson EB-0L in Walnut.

I bought this bass with the specific intent of tuning it BEAD. When the volume is turned down to 7 or 8, it produces an incredibly deep and warm - yet clean - sound. No other bass that I've ever played quite matches it, although I guess that one could come close with a properly EQ'd Ovation Magnum. While it's hard to put it in words, it's a very different "deep and warm" than what one would get from the neck pickup on a Ric or Fender. It records well, and plays much better with the newer amps than the old ones IME. I was able to coax some fairly modern sounds out of it even with the measly Rumble 100. With that being said, it requires a really light touch - like most Gibsons - and aggressive players are unlikely to be happy with the end result when it comes to the sound. I would imagine that one could get decent imitation of a double bass with it if it were strung with flats and EQ'd with some nuance, but that's a sheer presumption on my end.

Apart from replacing the bridge with a Hipshot SuperTone and slightly filing the nut to accommodate thicker gauge strings (it's currently strung 70-128 with La Bella roundwounds) the bass is stock.

While by no means rare, these basses are not all that common and I would advise trying one out before contemplating a purchase if you were interested. My saving grace was the fact that I owned one (in a different colour and far worse of a shape) back in the 80s along with playing a few more over the years, so I knew exactly what to expect. A two-pickup version (EB-3L) is undoubtedly even more interesting, but these don't come up for sale often and seem to command a hefty premium over their single pickup siblings.

Hope this helps.

MattZilla, kkaarrll and Warhawk like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Why not a Rick? Several of mine have/had neck pickups right up against the neck.

Axstar, alesreaper9 and PWRL like this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Travis Bean TB-2000
    55u-5211_front.

Paul Reed Smith Curly-5 Signature
    pmbmo5s6ughb1b88rv2s.

5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    ebo-l
    very cool
    had seen eb3-l and eb4-Lbefore, didn't know they made the ebo in an L though

6. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    everytime I try one, we just don't get along........

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    As I said, they are not all that common. And - if you want the mudbucker right at the bottom of the neck - it's got to be a "slothead" and these were only produced from 1970-72, with the vast majority of them being standard short scale models. The later version (1973-79) had the neck pickup moved towards the middle of the body which - along with a couple of other changes - makes these basses sound very differently.

8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    My two current basses with true neck pickups. Nothing muddy about them, just great tone (IME).

4004L-Special-&-4004L-Snowglo-1200_0673.
    Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2015 All rights reserved.

This short recording is the neck pickup in the Jetglo 4004L SPC, played fingerstyle, no EQ, just a bit of reverb from my Strymon Flint, into a Marantz PMD661.

Bass Noodle #1203 Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.

Attached Files:

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    This is the same but played with a pick.

Bass Noodle #1230 Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.

Attached Files:

10. 1964 EB-0. Labella Deep Talkin' Flats, currently about 5 years old. It also has a Dimarzio Model One in the bridge slot - I didn't install that, it came that way.

It doth not get mo'mudbucker than that.

EDIT: more story - I got the bass with a cracked headstock (it's a Gibson, that's proof..) and the Dimarzio in the bridge position, but with an empty hole where the mudbucker belonged. Had the headstock fixed and bought an original early 60's mudbucker through a friend.

When I had both pickups installed, since no sane person would need to roll off the treble from either of these pickups, I wired both pots as volume controls. Just turn up the pickup you want more of, turn down the one you want less of. The result is that I can get full 60's mud from the neck pickup when needed, but I can turn it down and turn up the Dimarzio to get a sound that's a bit less muddy. It's a pretty versatile bass in this setup!

Full shot EB-0.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. These Mosrites both have pickups right at the end of the neck. The pickups are pretty high output so there is quite a bit of high end present despite the position. Now these are 30" scale as are some of the Gibsons I believe but I think the sound that you are going to get from a pickup right at the end of the neck is going to depend more on the pickup and the overall bass construction.

Rick B.

Photo by Richard Blair

EDIT : Looks like I won't be embedding any more pics until I can find a new host. Photobucket can KMA.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  12. Yeah Man

Right against the neck does it for me:

New PRS.

Custom Hi A Beast with a nine position rotary switch.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  13. Thaibassman

Thaibassman Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Thailand
    For me, the only purpose of a neck PU is to blend and "brown-up" the tone of a good bridge PU.

However, having recently fitted an excellent Curtis Novack Bridge PU to my Epi EB3, I might change this opinion when I get around to affording one of his custom EB3 mudbucker replacements

14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    IMG_1731.JPG

alack, NKBassman, Alacajun and 5 others like this.
  15. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    IMG_1224.

alesreaper9, 1bassleft and ajkula66 like this.
  16. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014

ok

what is the white one?

17. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I would like to o just that t a couple of jazzes

diagram electronics please?

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    That is a standard 4004 Laredo in Snowglo, from a short run in 2013.

19. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    20170308_200328.
    FrankenTele.

'07 Squier VMTB body with no-name lefty neck. I love the pup, the neck not so much so it's not a main player at the moment. But with the proper EQ this pick-up is anything but muddy.