1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Tell Me Baby" by RHCP

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jazzman23, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey all,

I've been trying to get down the verse for this song for quite some time now. It's not as simple as it sounds!

Right now im playing it like this:

G------------------
    D--3h5--3h5
    A------------------
    E------x----x55 x55 x55

But if you listen closely, this isn't it. Flea adds some complicated muted or something which I can't seem to get down. It sounds like it might go something like this:

G-------------------
    D--3h5--5-x-----------
    A-----------------
    E------x----x55 x55 x55

But whenever I try something like this, it never seems to go. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

2. I've been trying to learn this one too, I think for me what's missing is the skin tight psychedelic orange body suit :bag:

I've watched the music vid a few times and his hands don't look that busy playing it but then again that a video clip not a live cut from a concert.

Hopefully someone who knows can tell us both!

3. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    maybe a tube sock as well lol

I saw them live (it was awesome!) and yea, flea's hands don't *look* that complicated, but slap never does i find

4. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I am having the same trouble, some parts he plays like what you posted, (I think when I play I play it on 5 and 7 though instead of 3 and 5) but I can hear, like you said, more muted parts. It is weird, I dunno, the ways of the great Flea are a mystery.

5. I'll correct it. This is how it is done IMO

G-------------------
    D--5h7--7------------
    A-----------------
    E------x---xx55-xx55-x-5

Thats it's (Methinks) :smug:

6. jondy1703

jondy1703

May 23, 2006
    If I may be so bold as to inject my not-so-professional opinion, on the recording, I hear it as the second option. However, sometimes on any live recordings I hear the first one. Personally, I think the second one sounds better and most like the recording.

7. +1

8. I think he recorded the bass in two tracks . with one he slaps the root A and mutes . and on the other track he pops the 7th (G) and the octave . (hammer on 5-h-7)

9. slapslappopslap

slapslappopslap

Nov 22, 2006
    NZ
    G|---------------------------|
    D|-5h7---5--x----------------|
    A|---------------------------|
    E|-----x---x----0h5-x5-x5--x-|