1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell me everything about grand pianos - looking to purchase first one

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mattsk42, Mar 7, 2013.

1. I come from a family of avid piano players. We've always had a nice upright until my dad got an 11 foot grand. It sounds fantastic and he got a good deal on it. I forget the brand now, but it's mid range.

I really like both the look and sound of almost any grand that I've seen, but don't know enough about pianos to really even begin shopping. Also, I don't play piano enough any more to really know if I would like anything. I'd have a hard time even playing scales anymore. Looking to really get into it though, and if we spend a ton of money on a grand, we'll just feel obligated to learn it again. :|

So help me with the following questions!
    Budget is about 1000 to 3000, and won't go above that in the future probably either.

1. Is it worth it to get a grand or just get an upright? (how much better would it actually be?)
    2. What brands to stay away from?
    3. What brands to get?
    4. Best places to shop? (we're in tiny Sioux Falls, so probably online/elsewhere)
    5. Any online resources dedicated to piano similar to Talkbass?

2. movers hate them

3. Pianos, like bass' and guitars, have an action. Buy the action.

As for other ideas on what to get. How much room do you have? An 11 foot grand piano is a BIG sucker. Even baby grands take up lots of space. Uprights, not so much.

Good luck.

edg

4. We have all kinds of room. Like I said, the problem is that I don't really play enough to know if I like heavy/hard action, or like it softer action. Sometimes both feel good with my limited playing. :meh:

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm not sure how much of a grand piano you get for $3,000.

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Buy now and a free one will show up on CL the next day.

3000 will cover the cost of moving and re-tuning two piani.

Get the free one!

7. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Bosendorfer Grand Piano 9'6" is around $180,000....it is probably the most incredible piano I have ever played...
    IMO there are many great used pianos or free ones...all you have to do is pay for the move and the retuning...

8. Reading some of the other posts reminded me, sometimes music schools will sell their pianos. You might be able to get a deal that way.

edg

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    You ain't getting a grand worth playing for that. At that price point, you'll be looking for a deal on a midrange upright.

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    The OKC Phil has a Steinway Model D concert grand. It was obscenely expensive, but it sounds amazing. Crystal clear, top to bottom.

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I'm not trying to be rude but if you come from a family of piano players, why are you asking bass players for advice on buying a piano? Shouldn't be asking members of your family or at the very least, log in to a piano forum? I don't think you would be asking piano players what kind of bass you should buy.

12. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to be in the living room of a great concert pianist back in the day. My girlfriends sister was playing chianpinakas on his Bossendoeffer. I was the most beautiful sound I ever heard. He said he spent 18 months of full time searching for this instrument. It was all in pieces in a warehouse. He said the height of piano making was the 1890's to about 1920. In his opinion, he would not bother buying a new piano, just have an old one completely rebuilt. Personally, I would get a really good keyboard, sample player and speakers. Also, I hear many acoustic pianos are ending up in the landfills. Apparently, no one wants them anymore and no one is able to service them. Try to find a piano tuner.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Nord Stage Piano is KILLER. Some nice speakers (don't have to be big or complex) and it would soud killer.

14. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Yes, badly crafted cheap grands end up in landfills.

No one wants acoustic grands? Yeah, right.

Piano tuners are everywhere. I live in a small state in south america and we have at least 3 piano tuners available in the area.

15. BryanB

Different markets. BTW, how many young people do you know that are going into the piano construction and maintenance business as a career?

16. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Rhodes and a nice amp? I've got space but still use a Baldwin upright. Grands are phenomenal but like everything quality comes at a cost. Don't rush things. Take your time and something will come your way.

17. My brother bought his baby grand used from a school district.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  19. BryanB

I am willing to accept correction, but I am a little suspicious of this list. There is apparently about 50 piano tuners servicing the area. RI has just over a million people. Maybe 1 of 1000 owns an acoustic piano. Of that, maybe 1/10 actually play them. Of that, maybe 1/10 actually bother to get them tuned. That is going to happen about once every five years. Do the math, no one is making a living doing this. Again, I would like to know how many of these tuners are under 30. In the not too distant future piano tuners will be as rare as blacksmiths.

20. 1 in 1000 owns an acoustic piano? I know of 4 houses on my street and mine isn't one of them (I don't own one yet).

Sure, it's a biased sample, small cross section, perhaps middle class houses can afford more etc. but 1 in 1000 is a very odd number to assume.